Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My hospice experience today

Hello to everyone,

This has been quite the week. My husband has his days and nights reversed, and i am pretty sleep deprived at this point. I feel that this could be a slow process, and we need all the support that is or could be available. 24 hour care is not an option , but i will certainly need to put a more rigorous care schedule in place. I am working on that now, but in the meantime, here is what happened at our house today:

At 9:am the hospice nurse came to check on Bob. She came bearing gifts if delicious soup made from our locally grown produce. One of them is a creamed veggie which is great because DH is beginning to have difficulty with swallowing. Next, we went over his meds list, and she recommended possibly eliminating some drugs from his regimen. NO PRESSURE, just an option to consider. She informed me that the bed rails that were available were only for Hospital beds, (Bob is using a single bed at this time) So.. they ordered special rails for him on AMAZON and wil deliver them to us next week. I casually mentioned that i was thinking of a transport chair because his ability to walk and stand is so un predictable, and this afternoon, a brand new chair was delivered.

OK, it gets better. A wonderful home health aide arrived at 10:30 and gave Bob a shave, trimmed his hair, and manicured his nails. He loved it and her demeanor put him in a happy place.

OH, and we are trying a new sleep aid, and i can pick up Seraquel tomorrow if the storm doesn't hit.

AND, a spiritual advisor stopped by with my consent , and we had a lovely , therapeutic conversation.

Now we will be monitoring the storm which may or may not land here, I will be utilizing some of the battery powered lights that Hospice brought over, just in case we lose power.

Feeling grateful, and sending encouragement to all who are considering this option, but are hesitant, as I was.

Maureen

Comments

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Maureen,

It sounds like you feel supported and heard by your new team. That's wonderful to hear. Both you and Bob are getting some much needed attention and care. I definitely understand having mixed feelings about some of the big steps along this dementia journey. I agonized over placing my DW into memory care. Now that she is there both of us are better cared for. Nevertheless, it still tugs at my heart sometimes. You are a great caregiver and you deserve support and rest. I imagine that Seroquel will help as will the hospice team. I wish you well as you put your new plan into place. Be encouraged and supported by this community and the hospice team even as you encourage and support us.

Tom

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Maureen, what a wonderful Hospice service you have for your dear husband. Truly a blessing. I so hope that the storm passes you and that the electricity stays on.

As good as most Hospice services are, I think that you have struck a gold mine in the one that you have supporting you and your husband.

Let us know how you are, we will be thinking of you.

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm with Jo. I think you struck gold! What a wonderful thing to have that kind of support. And the fact that they all seem so personable is a huge plus. I'm really glad you are getting the help you desperately need.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Maureen, I'm so glad you're being supported and that your husband is being treated with such kindness. You're in my thoughts.

• p
    p Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Dear Maureen, praying for your continued strength and assistance. Wonderful to know there is available help from Hospice and nurses. My DH has Alzheimer's, diagnosed a year ago but has had symptoms for the last 7 years. I pray- we are newly being acquainted with this disease- I am fortunate to have our daughter and family and friends close.

I pray you also receive help and time for you to replenish your soul and health.

Pam

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Maureen, I, too, think you have struck gold and am so glad you are getting help and support.

Brenda

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Maureen this sounds like the perfect type of assistance and support. Just to have someone to call when there is a crisis would mean so much. I’ve heard of so many different experiences with Hospice, many of them scared me away from the idea as anything but as a very last resort. I hope you will keep posting your experiences with them.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more