Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

M1 -Thinking Of You

Jo C.
Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello, M1; have been thinking of you and wondering how things are for you right now. Sending warmest of thoughts your way.

J.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I was just getting ready to start a thread like this. Thanks Jo!

M1, how is your breathing? And your stamina? Is it getting any better? Hopefully you're making a little progress.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I see in a reply M1 had made to another poster on Sept 14th that he is visiting his companion everyday and then he goes home to rest. So from that posting it sounds like he is better if he can make that 3 hr round trip. I hope he will give us an update soon as I worry about him.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

As always im grateful for your concern. Yes, ive been with my partner every day this week and then come home to go to bed. She cried all day Monday, seemed to realize i had been gone but of course didn't know why, frustrated that supposedly no one had told her of my absence (not true).

She has stabilized somewhat, no more falls this week though she has an impressive black eye and bruises elsewhere. I get her up for lunch, then we have just sat in the sun for most of the afternoon. then i drive home and go to bed. Not much energy for anything else yet. Hopefully it will come with time.

They have suggested holding off on hospice for now, rechecking her kidney function and blood counts next week. Those are unlikely to improve however.

Trying to figure out what I can and can't do reasonably while on chronic bloodthinners. Life on the farm is full of hazards.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear M1, my heart goes out to you and your partner. I know what it's like to be weak and short of breath. There have been times when I could barely walk a few feet from a chair to the bathroom due to asthma and COPD. What has helped me and continues to help is doing tai chi. I am a board certified instructor and get as much from the practice as my participants. There are plenty of videos on You tube and there are instructors in many areas. Tai chi can be done standing, sitting, or even from bed depending on a person's needs. The Tai Chi For Health Institute has a list of certified instructors. I offer this information because this has helped me not only with my stamina but also with anxiety and depression. You are a wonderful and devoted caregiver and I pray that you can recover your strength and feel good once again.

Brenda

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Goodness; a three hour round trip each day! I am surprised that is not a significantly taxing effort; do not forget to take good care of you too. I am very sorry that your beloved Partner is having a rough go of it and can imagine how hard you try to bring her comfort and buoy her up. How has your breathing been?

The farm really can be a danger in different ways considering the heavy, risky chores and tools while needing blood thinners. Do you have anyone you can hire in? I still wonder about the household chores, cooking, laundry, etc. and so hope you have someone that can lend a hand for you in some of that burden; at least for awhile.

It was interesting to hear input from our son; he is having P.T. due to a shoulder injury. His P.T. is a healthy young fellow; but he had COVID last year. One month after his COVID symptoms had completely cleared, he developed blood clots in his lungs - twice. He is now on blood thinners a year later and probably into the future. Nasty and unforgiving virus. I still wonder if you may have had an asymptomatic or very low symptom brief period of COVID. Guess that will never be known with certainty.

Take good care and know you are being thought of by your friends here, best wishes being sent your way,

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sorry it's still so darn hard. But it's encouraging that there have not been any new falls.

It really sounds like you need a little help on the farm. Is there a chance you could get somebody to help out with that? When you don't have the energy, and you're short of breath, it seems just about any kind of help would help you make it until things start going your way. We're still here for you.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

M1, I'm glad you are healing. Did you get a blood transfusion? Are you keeping an eye on your hematocrit? It's great that you are spending more time with your partner. Keep healing.

Brenda, thanks for the idea about tai chi. I also have fatigue and shortness of breath. I think the local senior center offers a class. I can add this to my healing repertoire.

Jo C, we are learning so much about the long term complications of Covid. Perhaps there is still time to check M1's Covid antibodies to see if Covid might be responsible for the lung emboli.

Iris

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

We have discussed medial alert, right?????

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Judith you're right that i need an updated medical alert. It's on my phone but I need a bracelet or necklace. On my list.

Still deciding about what help to hire. Am hoping my energy will rebound, and i have a son in law eager to help when he can. But yes, by the time I go to mc, spend a few hours and come back, that's the day for now. Not a routine i can maintain indefinitely.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited September 2023

At least get a "case" for the phone for your waist or around your neck. Plan for needing serious help!

I slipped on water 8 feet from my phone. Concussion and zero traction!!!!

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

M1 glad to hear you are a little better and being able to see your partner. Good to know she’s not having as many falls. Does seem like you are wearing yourself out. Please take care of yourself too.

would be interested in hearing what kind of medical alert device you decide on. I’ve been looking at different ones for myself. The necklace doesn’t look like it would be a good fit for me. I’ve heard that every time you been down or what ever they will get bumped and you get a call. Two months ago I passed out (blood pressure has been dropping too much) , when I came to, started throwing up and couldn’t move arms or legs, and saw my dh looking down at me! I knew he couldn’t do a thing to help me! Ended up having to call 911, (I know God was watching out for me because it was on the day the caregiver came and she actually came earlier) I did call my daughter but she’s an hour and half away, she and our 2 other kids met at the hospital. I say all this because of needing a life alert. Like Judith I also had a concussion, found out I also had a UTI ( I had no idea,no symptoms) and bp drops 20 points from sitting to standing. More when I bend over (like putting dh’s socks and shoes on!) . Sorry didn’t mean to tell you my problems!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more