Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Possible New Diagnosis

My husband of over 30 years recently went to his neurologist. He had a seizure back in 2020 due to a head injury. He's been OK up until a few months ago. I've really noticed that his short term memory has gotten really bad.

During the visit to the doctor I brought up this issue and they administered one of those tests to check his memory. He did OK on some things, but he had no clue on what the day was nor what month it was. I could semi explain this in my head because he's always sort of been like that but a few of the questions he should have known! More extensive testing is to follow.

He has a family history of dementia, so if he does get a positive diagnosis, it won't be a surprise. He's 65 this November and I'm at a loss of what my next step should be.

I keep hoping that it something else and it's all a big misunderstanding.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Gigi, welcome to the forum. I hope you don't really need it, but if you do, it's excellent. To do it properly, they will need to do a lot of testing to be sure there isn't another condition causing his problems. I hope they find something that is treatable.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome gigi. As much as we all know the feeling of wishing it weren't so, the reality is likely that it is in fact quite real. Better to be prepared than not. First steps are to ensure that your legal ducks are in a row-make sure now that legal and medical powers of attorney are in place, wills drawn up, and some thought given as to financial planning-do you have long term care insurance, or a way to finance memory care in the future? A certified elder law attorney can help with all of these things. It's not jumping the gun to do this kind of planning at any age, but you want to have these things in order while he can still give consent. It affects your own planning also, as he should not be named as your agent. I'm so sorry you are facing this, but you've come to a good place for support and advice.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Almost everything I know about dementia, I learned from this forum. Keep reading and posting. If you have questions about the testing process, come here and post and ask the community. Even if you are expecting a dementia diagnosis, to actually receive it is still upsetting. Welcome!

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi GiGi, Make sure they do an MRI and a spinal tap. With his previous head injury, he could have normal pressure hydrocephalus. If so, that can be resolved through a procedure. I sure hope that is what it is. Please keep us informed.

• gigi77407
    gigi77407 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

We have all the legal stuff done including POA, Wills, healthcare wishes , etc.

We have money from his 401k too. It's sort of hoping for the best and preparing for the worst

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Gigi, please keep us posted. Hope it's something treatable. My Mom used to say don't cross the bridge until you come to it. It took 6 months for my DH to get a diagnosis from the VA.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more