Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

sleeping all night and all day

I have read a lot of post about sleeping but my wife is a little different then most. She sleeps all night and will keep sleeping as long as I will let her only getting up to go to the bathroom. She has slept 22 hours straight and only got up because I kept trying to get her up. I wake her several times a day to drink a little water trying to keep her from getting dehydrated but then she goes right back to sleep. She is only eating once a day when she does this. She doing this about every second or third day. The other days I can get her to get up around 2 or 3:00. She is in a bad mood for a while then normal lack of interest in anything. But she does not fall asleep in her chair or anything. She is a wake until or normal bed time of about 11:00. Is sleeping this long at a time every few days normal.

Comments

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

BPS

I know that my wife sleeps a lot more than before the disease. I sleep about 8 hours a day compared to my DW who sleeps about 15 hours a day. (includes naps) I don't know what normal is, but I would talk to her physician. Is she on any medication? My DW takes,.025 mg of Risperidone but I don't believe that accounts for the additional sleeping since little has changed related to her sleeping prior to taking the drug.

Dave

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My sister has dementia and also sleeps a lot & her DH can't get her up. My DH has ALZ-Posterior Cortical Atrophy and sometimes doesn't want to get up. I tell him it's time to take his pills and have breakfast. That usually does it and he gets up. He's mid stage 5. Here's a good article about it that may help: https://www.aplaceformom.com/caregiver-resources/articles/dementia-patients-sleeping-a-lot

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DW sleeps 14-15 hours overnight, and only wakes because I wake her to start the day and eat.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

My DH has been sleeping 12 to 14 hours I try to get him up for breakfast but don’t always succeed.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My dh sleeps 13-14 hours at night and starts asking me around 4:30 if it’s bed time yet! He doesn’t take naps but he gets so sleepy by 6pm he’s asleep as soon as I get his covers pulled up on him. He is ending stage 6 and a couple of steps into 7. I let him sleep because he doesn’t do anything else but sit and watch old westerns. Best wishes for you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more