Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Back again

My hubby is still in the hospital. He lies in his bed curled up in a fetal position, his body supported by foam blocks and his feet bandaged. I visit once a week, I stay for about a half an hour and he holds my hand, I am glad of that.

I was laid off my job, so don’t have that form of brain stimulation. My birthday is on Wednesday and I turn 67, honestly I can’t imagine any more crap happening but I keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I decided to go outside in the back to tell the bees that my husband wasn’t coming home and I lost my job. This is an English custom that you tell the bees when something happens so they won’t leave. It felt good to do it, they big sleepy bumblebees paused in mid air for a moment. I have whispered to my husband to send me bumblebees when he goes so I know he will be alright.

Sorry for downer post, to all of you, thank you for being here. I feel for all of our struggles.

Comments

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Buggsroo,

i am so very sorry for these circumstances, for you, and for your dear husband.

Sending you inner peace,

Maureen

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited September 2023

Buggsroo; it is really good to hear from you; I had been wondering how you are and how things have been going. But oh my stars and garters! My heart goes out to you; so much happening in such a short period of time! Laid off your job; I am sorry that happened . . . will you be okay without that for awhile? May this somehow turn out to be a blessing in disguise for something far better in the future.

I am also sorry for all that has happened with your husband; I can well imagine how heartfelt difficult it is for you as his disease has progressed so deeply. There are not words sufficient; but I am also glad he is able to hold your hand in connection and that it pleases you. You certainly have gone the distance and then some with tremendous challenges that I still do not know how you did it for so long considering . . . . . .

You have told the bees your story; they carry it to special places; it is time for things to turn a corner and begin looking up for good things to start happening.

So; Wednesday you turn 67 years old. Happy Wednesday birthday wishes will be coming your way and may your "new year" be filled with many blessings both large and small.

You are special and have a marvelous personality and have been extraordinarily strong for so long. It has been a perplexing time with so much change sliding this way and that; I hope that you will find a way to make those delayed wishes you have had to come true.

Please continue to come here and talk a bit. We do think of you Buggs, and we would like to know how you are and what you are up to. We truly do care.

Big hug being sent up to you in our beautiful and loved next door neighbor, Canada; along with best of best wishes for you to "bee" well,

J.

(edited 9/19 for context)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Buggs, I'm so sorry. You have been through enough for 10 people. Seeing your husband in that condition, and losing your job must really be taking a toll on you. I remember a post of yours where you talked about all the things you wanted to do when this was all over. I hope you'll be able to do those things, and get a better feeling for life.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

@Victoria2020 thanks for the link. Very interesting. A lot of people are afraid of bees in general, but they really only get aggressive if they feel threatened. Otherwise they leave you alone. I love the bumblebee.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

@Victoria2020 Thank you for that link. I’m a world class “googler”, always looking for information on new topics. Browsing your link, I found a short, poignant video entitled, “The Beekeeper’s Son”. Also a brief entry about the Queen’s beekeeper informing her bees of her death last year. All very interesting. (I rely on “Mr. Cardinal” for reminders of DH. He flies around our yard almost daily and always stops and perches on top of a shepherd’s hook in the garden right beside my car. I tell him to tell DH we’re all okay.)

Buggs, I am sorry you are at this sad crossroads. For a long time, all I could do was sit quietly with DH, hold his hand, ruffle his hair. I miss that. Thinking about you often, with prayers.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

What a clever idea Victoria has . . . you indeed have the creative skills - a book re Talking To The Bees with cool graphics with your artwork would be awesome. Might want to think about it . . . .

And if you do it; I will be in line to buy copies . . . and will ask you to autograph them for me . . . I can see you now on TV and Book Tours . . .. mayhaps even doing a children's book re bees. Fiction? Nonfiction? I see books popping up everywhere with your designs . . . . and Bee T-Shirts to come . . . and a whole set of products including honey - lots of honey . . . .

Imagination is a wonderful thing. Well; most of the time anyway.

J.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

You are an amazing warrior with a sense of humor that just doesn’t quit. Go ahead and tell the bees your troubles, and have a good cry if you need to. Know that we’re here wishing you hope for the hardest part of the journey.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

So very good to hear from you! But so sorry for the current circumstances, my heart and prayers go out to you and your dh.

love the story about the bees, and it’s true most people are afraid of the bumblebee. I think they are beautiful and so very busy all the time. My sil was always fascinated with hummingbirds, after she passed away every year on that day one would visit my brother (just one) and he believed she sent it to him as if it was a reminder to him that she was in a better place.

please take care and if you write a book, like Jo I will be in line to get one or two or? Prayers and hugs sent your way!

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy Birthday to you. Sorry about your job and your hubby’s decline. Thank you for the bee story. I had never heard that before . You are a gem!

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

oh I am so sorry Buggsroo about your DH’s condition. Thank you for the bee thought. I never heard l that from my UK born DW. But I installed a new garden on the south end of my property and the fall blooming asters have attracted the bees. With my DW now in stage 7, I wil, have a little conversation with them tomorrow.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I Hope you talk to the bees, I find visiting them brings me comfort. I often go out and talk to them. They will sometimes hover as if they are listening. I love bees.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Buggs you have been a hero and I hate that you lost your job. I will continue my prayers for you. And may the bees be you joy.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Off topic …now I know what that expression means. Go Tell it to the Bees is a title of a book in the Outlander series (which I haven’t read), I have watched the tv series.

On topic - I’m so sorry that his journey has come to this. It must be exhausting for you. Please take this unexpected time off from work to rest. It’s okay to just do nothing for a while.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sounds like the next dementia caregivers survival book!!

I can relate to telling the bees but in a different way.

A long time ago I was going through a very difficult time in life, of my own making, and I thought I was trapped and things would never change or get better. During the most stressful times I would meet with God at a certain place and time and just talk to him. I didn't know if he was listening but I believed he was. I didn't know if he would help because I made the bed and I had to sleep in it. Long story short, things can change suddenly and when they did I never ever put myself in that position again.

Anyway, I need to find that special place again just to meet and talk. I've forgotten how helpful that was.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

The bee and zi had a nice chat

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia