Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dementia + Diabetes = ??

Seeking advice, experiences caring for someone w/insulin dependent diabetes + Alzheimer's. DH, diagnosed last year, refuses help on insulin dosage & administration. Despite warnings, instructions of Endo & Neuro MDs. I've given up, resigned he'll end up in ICU. (Insulin pump is not an option, too dangerous, per Endo.) Appreciate your ideas!
Tagged:

Comments

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

ESoprano, My DW is a type 1 diabetic and is now early stage 6 EOAD. Caring for someone with dementia is challenging. Add to the dementia caregiving the diabetic care piece, including insulin dosing, injections and watching their carb intake, really compounds the challenge.

I am blessed in the fact that DW is pretty easy-going and never fought me for control of her diabetic management. Very early in DW's dementia journey, I talked with her endocrinologist, educated myself on her diabetic management and took over her blood sugar checks and insulin injections. SInce I do the cooking anyhow, I was fairly easily able to manage her diet and ensure the proper carb count.

In my opinion, it is critical for the caregiver to take over insulin management for a PWD. Dementia takes away the ability of the PWD to manage their own diabetes. Insulin is life saving, but can also be fatal if improperly controlled. It may be an easier path to have the doctor tell your DH that you will be handling his insulin. Sometimes it is better accepted that way.

I wish you well as you care for your DH and particularly with the added responsibility of diabetic management.

I'm not a medical professional. But some in this community are. I'm sure that others will have additional ideas to share with you.

Tom

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Esoprano- if your husband is a type 2 diabetic it may be possible to transition to Ozempic or similar once weekly injectable. Has the endo mentioned this. If he’s type 1, then no.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more