Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Appetite

Hello, My wife is suffering from Cognitive Imparment , that is rapidly getting worse.
She gas no appetite what so ever an am at my Wits End ,trying to cook or prepare whatever ,to get her to eat more than a bite or two.
Trying to supplement as best I can with Boost etc , but as you know nothing beats basic good diet .She absolutely is not getting enough protein to sta like her weight loss.
Our Neurologist has her on a anti depresant to help spur her appetite, ut does not seem to be helping much.
ANY ideas ,suggestions or other types of RX that is working for you.I appreciate you passing on Thank you!

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited September 2023

Sometimes eating at the dinner table with cutlery or using any cutlery is not a positive for our Loved Ones (LOs). Does she have any vision disturbances which may make eating a problem or could she have a dental issue that makes eating uncomfortable?

In such a case, it may be best to try fixing small finger foods to put on a small saucer next to where she sits to watch TV or other place she likes to sit. She does not need to eat this all at once. Small finger foods at various times in the day and she will get some nutrition in. Quietly see if she picks up the items to eat or nibble. Make them small and soft; nothing crunchy and nothing that needs a spoon or fork and not too much at one time so she does not feel overwhelmed. You can even grind chicken into a smooth item to place on crackers or small bits of bread. Be sure she has something to drink, but do not overdo too much fluids at once when food is placed for her which may suppress appetite.

Another thing would be to contact a Registered Dietitian; your physician can order this from Home Health and one can make home visits. That could be very helpful.

If you have been thinking of protein powder additive, be careful and use professional advice in regard to such usage. Too much can damage kidneys and protein powder can also cause significant GI upset.

Of course, step one is to have her primary care physician and Neurologist to screen ALL the prescription and OTC meds and supplements she takes for anything and see if any suppress the appetite. You can also look this up too on the various links on the internet, but do have the doctors take a look.

So hope that a Registered Dietitian can be of help. That level of input is required as the RD's have adequate education to be medically sound.

J.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

My DH went through a period a couple years ago where he wasn’t eating much and had trouble swallowing a lot of foods. I gave him Ensure type drinks which he didn’t really care for. Then I started buying lots of ice cream. He loved eating that and after a short time it seemed to turn things around. Now he’ll eat just about anything I give him, even trying a few of my potato chips occasionally. A friend of mine had the same problem with her DH and ice cream worked for them too.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

There are special formulations of Boost and Ensure, such as high protein or high caloric. You may need to order through a dietician, these are not usually found in local stores.

Iris

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Check the meds she is on as some cause a reduction in appetite. Also, check for a UTI.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I buy shakes when she won't eat she will drink those.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more