Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How to answer - "I want to go home"

My DH, diagnosed with Alzheimers, is in a Memory Care Unit. He does not communicate very much. However, he repeats several times a day, I want to go home. He asks the staff to call me to come get him. My son has explained that right now he needs to be where he is. I always tell him "I hear you", "I understand". Is this just a repetitive action? Will he eventually stop asking or replace it with another question? What should I say to him?

Comments

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Perhaps a fiblet would work. You could tell him some repairwork is being done at the house and you will bring him home as soon as it is finished. Then repeat the fiblet the next day since he probably won't remember from day to day. That is just an example. When you find the answer that works for you, tell the staff so they can tell him the same thing. I hope this helps.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My, DH, while in MC, never asked to go home. He didn’t know me or where he was, so that dilemma never materialized. There were, however, residents in his cottage who regularly asked me to “take them home, call a family member to pick them up”, or would just appear sad and cry quietly, missing home and family. It would break my heart, but I soon realized that for the most part, these were isolated incidents and the residents quickly rebounded with an introduction of an activity or a gentle reassurance that staff would call family at ___ o’clock. Listen to your son as hard as it is. He is probably right and if you were to check with staff, they would most likely report that your DH is content most of the time. I’m sorry you are having to deal with this, one more thing after having already made the heartbreaking decision to place your DH. Try to keep busy and not dwell on your DH’s requests; I would guess that he is just fine. Best wishes; this, too, shall pass.

• Grandma Sandy
    Grandma Sandy Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Likes

Beachfan . . . very helpful. Thank you. It always helps to know others have seen or had the same experience . . . . . otherwise, we think we are the only ones dealing with a particular issue . . . which is what I am feeling.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Beachfan, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm facing the same thing.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My late cousin would ask me to take her home. When I asked where, she gave me the address of her childhood home. She would ask me what I was doing that I was too busy to take her home. I would tell her I lived too far away to come and get her. It dawned on me that she thought I lived very near her, and that we could just jump into a car and go. She was living in her own home at the time.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney