Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Getting spouse to wash

uriklement
uriklement Member Posts: 1 Member

I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to get an early Alzheimer to wash.

my wife is a very private person but she stopped washing herself .

I took her to the pool and hot tub in the summer but what can I do in the winter??

thanks,

U

Comments

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 95
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

I'm in a similar situation with my husband and have found a couple of things that work. One is to say, You said you were planning to take a shower (or bath) today - I'll take mine after you. Then I turn on the shower and leave him to it. Most of the time this works, as he thinks it was his idea. Another thing that works is just to turn on the shower, put out his towel and tell him he can have the first shower. Not sure any of this will work with your DW but somehow, taking the options/deciding out of the mix gets it to happen most days. Not always, but most!

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hello,

I would make one suggestion here, is you can do it. Hire a female home health aide to come in and give your wife a lovely "spa treatment" . Many times another female can be persuasive, especially if some beauty products are used (a dry shampoo that smells great, or a SHAMPOO CAP. these require no rinsing and its the only thing my husband will tolerate. we will never shampoo his hair the old way again.) Moroccan Oil males the best smelling dry shampoo ever, well worth the price.

Also, there are disposable wash cloths with the soap already in them, on Amazon---no rinsing involved.

Does your wife need help in the bathroom?

The aide can go in at the end and give her a soothing warm water wash with a PERI Bottle. its easy to do. Of course, wed all love a TOTO washlet, but sometimes not great for a dementia patient.

I hope this helps.

Maureen

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living