Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Urinal? or Male Incontinence pad or both?

My DH, 78, diagnosed 2 years ago has ALZ-Posterior Cortical Atrophy and is Stage 5 going into Stage 6. Lately he hasn't been making it to the bathroom in time and slightly wetting his underwear a few times a day enough that he has to change. He may also have some visual issues but waiting for an appointment with a Neuro Ophthalmologist. So trying to decide if I should get pads for him to wear, get a urinal in a bright color or both. He's not ready for adult diapers yet but realize it may be next in his progression. Also thinking if I could get him to use a pad he might be more agreeable to adult diapers when that time comes. Also going to prepare the bed this weekend before accidents happen.

Comments

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I would try both if he has the dexterity to manage a urinal..

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hi Diane,

Not sure how much leaking he's experiencing, but when my H was at that stage, i purchased padded cotton underwear on amazon.He would wear them when we were going out to run errands, and i presented them as the "insurance" pants so that he wouldnt have an accident while we were out. He wore those for about 6 months. Never got used to a pad, but when we transitioned to disposables i showed him what women wear (pads, liners,etc.) and we kind of laughed a bit about "getting older".

We still have problems with him wanting to pee as soon as he gets the urge, and urinating on the floor or trying to in a parking lot. Old habits die hard i guess.

You will be so glad that you have layered the bed, its one of the best caregiver ideas i've come across.

Sometimes i layer the briefs as well, so that if the first layer is wet,I simply cut it away with a bandage scissor and voila, the outer layer becomes the replacement. This is helpful when the patient is antsy or agitated.

Hope these tips are helpful.

Maureen

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living