Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Incontinent tips?

patiron
patiron Member Posts: 11
First Comment

Hi family---any methods to help with avoiding toilet accidents? We have been taking Mom at least every hour to the bathroom.

she asks "where is the bathroom" as she doesn't remember where it is. We have a lighted toilet bowl that draws attention. I say have a seat, nice n clean. We "standby" for assistance. We have some Amazon "flush" signs on the wall. This seems to help, what do you do?

the accidents are hard for her and us, she balks hard or is simply defiant towards changing her clothes or letting us help her clean up after

Comments

• Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 747
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions

Hi patiron,

Hate to ask, but you had mentioned anxiety meds recently too--has she been checked for a UTI?

If not a UTI, It may be that a prescription for meds to help her anxiety may also help with this. If she's still in regular underwear, those should be removed from her clothing choices and she should be switched to incontinence briefs.

I use this brand for my mom on the recommendation of another poster and have been pleased with them, but there are many vendors. You can use the magnifying glass on the upper right header to search for the topic to see more discussion.

https://www.parentgiving.com/collections/dry-direct-by-parentgiving

• patiron
    patiron Member Posts: 11
    First Comment

Thanks for your share

i had the thought of UTI and so we will check into that right away. Only occasionally do we use the briefs so I'll be on board with those more regularly. Gosh thanks again for your recommendation.

• DebDeb
    DebDeb Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Did you find those Italian diapers ran small?

• Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 747
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions

I think they're pretty true to size, but they have a chart for each type--I would measure just to be sure. The side panels are soft with some stretch.

• DCCEPEK
    DCCEPEK Member Posts: 94
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I'm feeling ya with the toilet issues. It will only get worse. Sad but true, sounds like you're about where we are with mil.

Prayers

• CKCMaggio
    CKCMaggio Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

My loved one has forgotten how to use the toilet for the most part. Wants to just stand in front of it and go, rather than sitting down. She's in a facility and does wear undergarments, but I don't know how they deal with this all day (or if they do). It's a bigger problem on the occasions I want to take her out and she needs to use a restroom. I advise her to sit down like she would on a chair, but she just stands there and it becomes very frustrating. I just don't get how she can easily sit on a regular chair, but not a toilet? Has anyone else experienced this, or have any tips?

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited October 2023

She may be fearful of sitting on a toilet because there is a big hole in it.

For some dementia patients it is helpful to have a brightly colored toilet seat rather than white, so that they can judge the dimensions better; conversely, you could color the toilet water. Make sure there are grab rails on both sides of the toilet and that the seat is elevated if she has musculoskeletal issues.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,749
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Also, protect all the furniture and get a riser for the toilet seat.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more