Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

911 to Hospital to Inpatient psych eval

I had to call 911 due to my 70 year old husband's aggressive and threatening behavior. It’s been steadily increasing over the last several months. Original diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment was 8 1/2 years ago. An infection and 24 day hospital stay 4 years ago started the downhill slide.

He’s been declining physically as well. Not eating much and drinking only a little water the last couple of weeks.

Bruce has been in the hospital for just over 24 hours and has been accepted to an inpatient mental health facility on a 1013 for evaluation.

I’m scared. I don’t know what to expect, information from hospital staff is spotty at best. I’ve asked for contact info at the facility they are taking him to for someone who can tell me what happens next. I know hospital staff mostly do the best they can but I won’t be able to check in on my DH but once a day due to the type of facility it is.

I'm not sure what my rights are and I’m concerned about how he will be treated.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Please contact and visit with the Dr who diagnosed the MCI as well as the current PCP.

You want to know that a diagnosis is being made following current proper protocol and that you husband is not just being given drugs.

• jacdev4l
    jacdev4l Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Jo C. So very helpful and informative. I only thought of half the things you listed. Now I am more prepared when the nurse calls this evening after he is settled. I only know she will because I called the facility right after transport picked him up.

Thank you also for your encouraging words, they are much needed right now.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jacdev41 I personally have no experience but Jo C was very informative. I just wanted to send you a hug and say I’m praying for you and your dh!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Jacdev i also had to go this route with my partner in march 2021 because of threatening behavior, at the time there was no visitation because of covid which made things even more difficult. She went from the hospital to memory care and has been there ever since. One of the most important people for you to be in contact with at the hospital is the social worker. He/she will help you make discharge plans, and probably the most important thing to be thinking about is whether you will be able to care for him at home, or not. No shame if you can't, i couldn't either, and there are many ous here who have traveled this roaf. Keep us posted. I am very sorry, i know how hard this is.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello jacdev, I have been thinking of you and hope things are beginning to settle with information coming your way.

J.

• LilySue
    LilySue Member Posts: 37
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

If there was one thing I would have done differently in my 11-year journey with my DH who had Vascular Dementia and Lewy Bodies Dementia, it would have been to refuse the ER doctor's suggestion to place him in a psych unit for his agitation. Little did I know that those 11 days would change him forever. Looking back, he never should have been there (he had a UTI for goodness sake), but I was a beginner in our joutney, and I didn’t know. I listened to the ER docs, and did what they said. I finally had to insist that he be discharged against the doctor's advice, and it took two days for all the drugs they gave him to wear off. He never fed himself again after that. We live and learn, but if I had a do-over, it would have been very different.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more