Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Parkinsonism

My DH was diagnosed with Parkinsonism and LBD in July. The Parkinsonism seems to be the main issue right now. He does have some cognitive issues but mild . My concern/ question is his walking and mobility are what he struggles with the most. Since June he has physically declined drastically he uses a walker in the house and wheelchair when we go out. He has been going to physical therapy 3 times a week since August, prior to that he had in home therapy 2 times a week. I honestly don't see an improvement, I know the therapy is good overall for him. I am just concerned is this normal to see such a rapid decline? There are times it seems he simply doesn't remember how to walk. Even with the walker he struggles. I have to walk with him and hold him up to get around the house. I am just concerned about how quickly things have gotten worse.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,718
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Paula. I know progression is unpredictable, but what you're saying doesn't surprise me. My sister in law died of LBD, misdiagnosed as Parkinson's right up until her last hospitalization--that's how dominant the motor symptoms were and how minor the confusion/dementia symptoms were. She suffered significant injuries from falls.

Have you considered a hospice evaluation? If he really is close to being nonambulatory, it may provide you with significant help. I can't comment further on the rapidity of his decline but i am sorry you are experiencing this.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more