Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

No filter (for a laugh)

My husband lacks the ability to sugarcoat things now. Not mean, just overly honest. Tonight in response to my asking how his dinner was: "it wasn't horrendous." LOL. In all fairness it was just roast chicken and steamed vegetables. I'll take it as a win.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

"My husband lacks the ability to sugarcoat things now" My wife was the same way. But yeah, that was a win for you. It sounds pretty good to me. Right now I'm eating a PBJ.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

@Jeanne C. Ouch!!! 😄 I'm still smiling over his comment.

Still, a win.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Jeanne, I’d take that a win too. (Maybe next time a little hollandaise sauce on those veggies. Lol!)

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Lol.. roast chicken for the win!!

One Grandson says “it was above average “!! Lol

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

😀 Been there, done that....thanks for the chuckle,

Michele

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Dad's last Christmas reporting on the lovely brunch my niece's new boyfriend made for us:

"Not your best work."

Six years later, they're married, and we all use "not my best work" when things disappoint.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Haha. So nice to have a laugh.

My SO this morning. I told her Senator Diane Feinstein had passed. She meant to say, "She sure did contribute", but it came out "She'll just commute". We both burst out laughing.

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

harshedbuzz,

Priceless, I just claimed that one! LOL

Michele

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

My DW is critical of my cooking, and I tend to agree with her. The best that I get after struggling to prepare my best meal is "The chocolate milk is good". I still take it as a positive. One day she said, "can we have something that tastes good like we used to have." Yet, she will tell family and friends, "I can only eat Dave's cooking." LOL

Dave

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Lol! That’s a good one. You just gave me another idea for liquids: chocolate milk. I’ve been having a hard time getting my DH to drink enough liquids to help ward off UTI’s. I read that citrus juices can irritate the urinary tract and he isn’t fond of cranberry juice, either natural or the juice cocktail. A dear friend suggested apple cider or juice and he’s drinking a little bit more of those. But chocolate milk is one I hadn’t thought of. Thank you for the idea.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 885
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

LOL. I'd take the win too! Seems like every day my DH, when I put something in front of him that he's always liked before, says matter of fact: "I don't like that" and I'm thinking... since when???? So we're down to 2 things for breakfast: cereal with banana or waffles. He doesn't like chicken anymore or lettuce. LOL. His PCP asked me about his diet because he's diabetic and I said "challenging" ..... My daughter brought chicken salad over today with cranberries & pecans. I said I'd fix him something else and he said he wanted some of that. He ate it and liked it!! Can't win...

• Sunnyside42
    Sunnyside42 Member Posts: 42
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

These light moments are a gift!

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

My DW is funny without being aware of it. She doesn't eat lettuce, crusts of bread and the crust area has been expanding. Whatever I prepare most of it gets pushed to the side of the plate. She likes the cheerios All Grain for breakfast but will daily ask, "is it ok if I just eat the light-colored ones". Almost all food served is too salty, too hard, too spicy. However, Campbells chicken soup is ok and so is Orio cookies. They are the go-to foods. She has a stomach acid problem, and her favorite foods are on the don't eat list and she will only eat them. She drinks a lot of milk, chocolate and white but dairy is also on the list. She spends a lot of time in the kitchen doing an ongoing inventory and rearranging foods. Our DIL was over last week and baked an apple pie so my wife is in the kitchen after everyone left and cuts the pie into little pieces making it a mess. The same with Potatoe chips she hits on the bag and crushes them into small pieces. I started buying chips in the can and they get a pass for some reason.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My dh likes the little round peppermints. He will only leave them in his mouth until all the red stripes are gone and then he takes it out of his mouth and lays it on his tray. How he knows the red stripes are gone I have no idea because he doesn’t take it out of his mouth to look at it! It does keep him occupied for a while!!

• LisaLH
    LisaLH Member Posts: 40
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments

My step dad has lost his filter also and is in MC. I went to visit him today. He referred to these two men as "big" boys. I patted his belly and said you might want to look down. We both laughed. It will be a nice memory for me.

• emhanson
    emhanson Member Posts: 6
    First Comment

Oh my gosh-I want to tell him that if the meal isn't something he enjoys, please just politely not eat it. I strive to make meals he will enjoy

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more