Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Any experience with Depakote?

Hello ,

Well, we are still trying to get DH on a regimen that has him sleeping through the night. He still takes seraquel, and his doseage has been doubled as of Sunday. This he seems to tolerate, and it does modify some of his erratic behaviors as of late. Last night i gave him melatonin, and it seemed to work, but not until i had upped it to 10mg. He was very restless and it took quite awhile before he settled down. Now the Hospice Doc has prescribed Depakote to take at night and again, a lesser dose in the morning. I've looked back to some earlier posts, but im not finding much input on this drug. They all have side effects, that's a given, but the goal here is sleep, and reduction in agitation. Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks in advance , I really don't know what i would do without this group!

Maureen

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Definitely worth a try Maureen. It's a drug that can be used for seizures but that is also frequently used for bipolar disorder as well as in dementia. Hope it helps.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

M1, thank you!

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

My husband takes depakote sprinkles ( in capsule which I open and put in apple sauce/yougurt) and takes 500mg twice a day. He is on hospice (since mid Feb) and sleeps all night (I do give him melatonin, too but not sure that keeps him sleeping). I stopped all drugs for behavior at least a year ago as he would be more agitated! Please ask to get the sprinkles as the pills were big, and my husband refused to swallow them. Good luck. I have not observed any side affects.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Cherjer,

Thank you for that ! I picked up the rx yesterday, and those pills are huge! I used a mortar and pestle to grind them up and out in applesauce. He is on 500mg at night, and 250 mg during the day. I added 10 mg of melatonin and put it in warm milk with honey. Last night he had a great sleep and is still sleeping at 7:am. He is also on Hospice, I will ask them about the capsules.

I wish you sleep, and some peace,

Maureen

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My dw was on depakote and it didn't help her and it caused her blood platelets to drop dangerously low. That is a side effect mostly in woman. It sounds like your having good luck.

Here's to a restful night for you both.

Stewart

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Yes, you will be much happier with the sprinkles...just open the capsules and sprinkle in the apple sauce!! I am glad to hear your dh is getting sleep...and so are you!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more