Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Compensation

I had to quit my job to take care of my DH who was diagnosed. Is there compensation I can apply for. I am on SS.
Also I am so glad to find this site! Sometimes I just need to vent!

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

This may depend on where you live. In Massachusetts there is a program where lower income families can get a family member qualified to be paid as a caregiver, I believe through Medicaid. I am really not sure of the requirements or income levels but this is worth looking into. Try googling “pay for family members as caregivers in ‘your state’” and see if anything comes up. If your community has an Elder Advocacy group they may be able to answer your question.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome to the forum, but sorry you need it. I'm glad Joe mentioned that. In Indiana there is also pay for a family member who is a caregiver for someone. But not if you are a spouse. I am not sure what the limits are, but I don't think you need to be low income.

I'm glad you found our little family. You will get a lot of support here. If you have any questions at all, feel free to post about it. Just about anything is welcomed because we all need to be able to let off steam, and feel supported.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 2023

If you or DH is a veteran, there may be compensation for caregiving as well. Depends on the vet's level of service connection for their disability and their service dates (e.g. combat or war time especially) for Aid and Attendance. Although they (you) may qualify for 30 days per year of respite care, or a few hours per week of home health aide assistance even with 0% service connection with a dementia diagnosis -- apply for Catastrophic Disability status. In some cases, a spouse or other family member can be paid as the home health aide for those part time hours.

And I just found this from the National Council on Aging. Have not reviewed it yet.

And this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: I just cancelled my early SSI retirement. After nearly a year, they began withholding it because my -part-time income went over a certain (very low) limit. I was told that if I earned over $19k, the gov't would keep 1/2 of every $1 I can earn, and I didn't feel I had a choice. We (I) can barely make the most urgent ends meet. But instead of reducing by 50 cents on the dollar, they suddenly withheld the entire monthly payment with no warning, as I apparently went over the amount allowed?

I don't know how that works, but it isn't sustainable for me for the rest of my life taking the reduced SSI amount anyway. It was so low that I still can't cover all our utilities, phone, each month without juggling as the mortgage obviously has to be paid. Hopefully that won't affect you, assuming you are at full retirement age. For me, I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, without caregiving help for DH and not able to leave him so I can work full-time outside the home again. I hope to piece together full-time income from home in the immediate future! Meanwhile, still jumping at any benefits he is entitled to, as he is quite a bit older than I. Good luck to you!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

OK, all that being said, our archaic government policies are contributing big time to hardship on middle class, working people.

This is why we have a large "under ground economy".

IT'S sickening.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney