Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Soon, another year down

It's amazing how fast time flies when all you can see is from one moment to the next. This same time last year I thought my DW would be in MC but she's about the same as she was the year before, just creeping along ever so slowly. I wonder where we will be this time next year. Probably in the same place I am now.

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 2023

my mom is cognitively pretty much the same as she was 4 years ago - after she recovered from a UTI. Emotionally she’s not crying as much due to medication, but she’s still whiny and needy. Physically she’s slowing down a lot. Can’t walk two steps without her walker, and now has wet macular degeneration. Step-dad has been diagnosed at stage 4- but it’s the weirdest stage 4. Mostly paranoia and delusions about his health. His lack of education made testing him not quite so accurate . His physical health is deteriorating, which you would expect after 20 years of COPD and heart issues.

Neither appear to be in that last year of life, nor be in the short line for an MC. So I’m envisioning a repeat of the last year too and to be in the same place as now at the end of a year.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

It’s amazing how fast the years go by. DH continues his slow decline. By next year, who knows. He may be just about where he is now. I have so many questions and not enough answers. All I know for certain is that I’m tired and I’m trusting the Lord to guide me through this.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

When I look out a year or two (or 5 or 10) I feel like we could be pretty much in the same place that we are right now. Other than his neuro-cognitive condition DH has no concerning medical issues with heart, lungs, organs, diabetes, etc, that could mean a shortened life.

But when I look backwards I realize how much progression has taken place. 2019 he was home while I worked, walking just fine, and managing all ADLs. 2020 still doing well but starting to have issues with gait and balance. 2021 starting to have problems with falling. 2022 falling becoming more frequent but able to get up with assistance. Began using a wheelchair most of the time, and needing help with transfers. 2023 strength and weight bearing ability declining, starting to become really difficult to assist him to get up after a fall or to do a transfer. Enter the Hoyer Lift ( a God send) and a hospital bed.

So who knows? Maybe he’s progressed to a point of “stability” and we’ll just cruise like this for years. Only time will tell.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

A year ago I had no idea what was about to happen. I knew something was wrong but didn't suspect dementia. Now we're at stage 5 and I take it from day to day.

Ghphotog, you're doing the best you can for your wife. Hang in there. We're on this stupid road with you.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Whyzit, I am with you. My solution (sort of) has been to pack up the meds, incontinence briefs and adult wipes, and go! We were homebound for a long time due to his resistance to leave but now, is more compliant.

I figured if I can clean the bathroom (and butt) multiple times a day at home, why not see a few more interesting sights 😉and take DH with, as long as he remains mellow and mobile. We don't have a lot of discretionary funds, but when opportunities have arisen this past year, we go. So far, so good.

Would you be able to recruit a companion caregiver to travel with you all for your 60th? Sure, it wouldn't be the same as having your DH pre-dementia celebrating your anniversary together like before, but maybe there could be some precious moments for you both, and priceless memories for you, rather than just the travel channel.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

The thought of carrying this on for many more years to come is terrifying. I'm also still young enough to have a few good years left if I can ever get through this. One day at a time and before we know it we have another year down.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 2023

@HollyBerry and @ghphotog

Right there with you all. We are peeking at Stage 7 here, with so much loss of capacity in the last year +, though I am a little shocked to realize this weekend is the 5th anniversary of DH's diagnosis. Which is also my diagnosis in a sense, as yes...we both are on this frightful roller coaster ride. Together. Just holding on for dear life while we still have no hope other than to crash and burn with the least amount of trauma possible. Crazy.

It is sobering to note that the final stage alone can last several years. I, like many, believe it is not wrong to hope our LOs go suddenly and sooner than later. It could spare us both suffering that can't be understood by anyone else but those of us riding this runaway train to nowhere good.

I try to share uplifting feedback as much as possible because it is important to find the small wins and moments of joy on this hard journey. But again, I am right there with you all at the moment. Shaking my head.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Time doesn't slow down like Alzheimers slow progression, when I think 13 going on 14 soon and realize how much longer this could go on is sometimes overwheming, so it's one day at time. I am thankful she can still walk alittle at mc in the courtyard we love the fall so why does that seem to go so fast? This is our second fall here!

• nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    edited October 2023

Mostly I read and do not comment. There is so much to learn from this site. Thank you everyone. Today I feel like commenting.

My DH was diagnosed officially in 2017. I knew in the early 2000s that something was wrong with his memory. My family said it was just his age. The family doctor ignored my statements until he no longer could. DH was 60 at the time he took early retirement because he could no longer do computer drafting for his engineering job plus he would get lost in places he had driven his entire adult life. He is now almost 84.

Time has moved on and we are now at stage 6, I think. His neurologist at University told me Alzheimer's would be slow going and it has been. The last year has been moving a little more quickly followed by an emergency appendectomy two years ago this fall and then covid for the first time in July. Big changes with his strength and mental capacity. Slowly he has returned to what he was before covid with his strength, which was gone. I used the belt a lot to help him up from his recliner and bed, but could not get him up off of the floor when he fell.

He refused in the beginning to take any Alzheimer's drugs, probably because he believed he did not have the disease. He was on so many other drugs for heart, BP, Barrett's esophagus, etc., I didn't mind not adding more to the mix.

His long time angry mood at everyone went from constantly angry and yelling to mellowness. After a bad car wreck in 2013, our son told him he could no longer drive. The "Road Warrior" was finally taken from behind the wheel the car. There was argument and bargaining, but finally he stopped trying.

My life did get so very much better and yet I know that there is worse to come. I try to meet each day with gratitude.

As Butterfly wings said, it is not wrong to hope that our loved ones go sooner rather than later. I hope that, too.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I too wonder how long this awful disease will continue and pray for my father in law to simply go peacefully to sleep..

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Last night I was trying to remember exactly when it was that I knew for sure something was seriously wrong. She retired from NNSA formerly DOE in 2015 and just wanted to stay home all day and watch TV. I didn't like it but hey she's retired and if that's what she wants to do then so be it.

Last night I was looking through all of the photos on my phone as they are time stamped. In 2018 we took a train ride with some friends and at one point the train stopped for lunch about half way. There was another train going the opposite direction. She followed me and completely trusted me. I put her back on the train in what I thought were our original seats. I left her for a short time to visit the restroom and realized we were on the wrong train. As I came out she was sitting by the window looking down at at me and there was just something about the way she looked at that moment I knew for sure somethings wrong. I snapped a photo of her looking at me through the train window. That photo still haunts me today.

I barely got us back on the right train before it left.

She is now somewhere in stage 6, not sure where as many stages seem to overlap. She seems to have progressed fairly fast so maybe it won't be such a long slow ride but who knows? I suspect I have a few more years to go.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

This week is the 3rd anniversary of my DHs diagnosis, but like so many others, I now can recognize symptoms that were there for years prior. I keep a little journal by my bed, not to write thoughts and feelings, but to document changes and happenings. Too often the days, months, and now years just pass and it seems like nothing changes. The journal helps me mark the changes and look back so I can understand that DH is getting worse.......I'm just adapting to the progression.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

CStrope, that is really a good thing to do. I started doing that, but for some reason I quit doing it. A few days ago I looked at some of my old posts, and I was amazed at some of the things I read. My advice would be to keep writing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more