Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Drapper

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

In one of your posts you said "Thinking of it as a choice makes me less of a victim and a better caregiver." I know you took the course offered by Natalie Edmonds. I've been a strong believer that if you can change the way you think about caregiving situations (that's what you did), that can make a real difference in how hard caregiving is. Do you have any tips you would share on how people can change their way of thinking? Do you think it would be worth having a dedicated thread for that?

Comments

• Drapper
    Drapper Member Posts: 79
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Ed - I know a number of people on here have referenced her course. (Including you). I was hoping others would start following her or listening to her in utube. (Or join her course)

Ive only been in her Course about 2 months and see a positive difference in how things are going for me and my relationship with my DH. I now have many more good days than not so good days. I handle things better, or when I don’t , I am easier on myself.

i am not so sure about tips or a separate thread. Let me think about it. My ability to process change is greater than my capability to articulate it.

Regards

Debbie

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Debbie, thanks for the reply. I have watched her youtube videos for roughly 4 or 5 years, and I took a 5 day course when it was offered free of charge. I still watch some of her videos. They were all very helpful. I'm glad you are getting a lot out of her course. Teepa Snow is another good one, as is Tam Cummings.

• Drapper
    Drapper Member Posts: 79
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

I’ve listened to Teepa Snow. I’ll have to try Tam Cummings.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more