Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

About Hiring PT In Home Assistance

We're nearing the point where I need to look for someone to come in part time (maybe 10-20 hrs/week) to help care for DW (hygiene, simple meals, companionship etc).

For those of you who've hired part time help, what do you know now you wish you'd known at the start?

Thanks.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Good luck - It is a process. It is good that you are starting to look now, as it took us a while to find someone at all, much less who we both are comfortable with. Depending on your needs, and your LO's personality, it may take a while to find a good fit, and may be a bit of trial and error until your LO becomes comfortable with a PT guest. Most suggest introducing them as someone coming to help YOU out, not to watch or help your spouse.

I now know that home health aides are not paid enough to make them particularly reliable, so no-shows, last minute cancellations, and gaps between coverage are not unusual. In our experience, I also had higher expectations for accountability from the agencies, but their standards have been closer to "good enough", whereas mine were (are still) higher than that, also I've lowered them somewhat. I still prefer someone who is dementia-savvy and vaxxed since DH has a compromised immune system with respiratory issues. But, I learned there is no way to guard against people just saying "oh yes" when it may or may not be true =/.

I wish I knew that some agencies say they have dementia trained or experienced aides, while in reality they don't always verify the type and extent of any training. Meaning, it has been necessary to prioritize the minimum things I need an aide to adhere to, and train them myself. In fact, I recruited 4 of the 6 caregivers the agency has sent us in the last year, and BTW that is agency #3. so I guess I wish I had known that so much of this would be up to me to make it happen -- I might have started earlier as you are doing.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

hello,

I've never gone through an agency to hire care giver help. They take two thirds of the fee and the aide gets one third. This makes for disgruntled employees.

I've asked friends, clients, any one i came across for recommendations, and went from there. All you need is one person who is in the loop, and then you can network through them for other helpers when you need.

You need to be very specific about the job description when you interview someone, and BTW house cleaning isn't part of their duties unless it pertains to the patient and his/her needs. Many aides i've met have felt dis respected when being given a list of chores that belong to a house cleaner.

Also, its critical to make sure your person has dementia experience.

Good luck, and keep us posted,

Maureen

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 440
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I agree with everything Butterfly Wings said.

It's an exhausting process and reliable help is rare. I agree there are last minute call outs, cancellations, dishonesty, etc. Rarely is there any loyalty. Many aides to not want to do this work. They want easy or companion jobs. I have hired privately and through agencies. Although, I have never hired someone privately after they have been sent to me from an agency. I would say call several agencies and have them look for you. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Try to get a meet and greet before you agree to hire anyone. If your gut is telling you no for some reason, listen to it. In my opinion, the agencies talk a good game but want to get anyone in the door. There's a shortage in our area and the caregivers do whatever they want (no show, etc.) and the agencies do not have backups and cannot control anything. Also, if you have an issue with the aide or have high standards, you become the problem at the agency - not the aide who is not doing his/her job.

This is not to say there aren't good caregivers out there. They are there but very hard to find. I have a couple I would consider good (hired privately) but they call out and, even though they have been here a while, I still have to check in and be sure all is as expected. Cameras are very helpful in this regard. It's sad, but it's what needs to be done. When hiring privately, I screen, get references and run background checks.

And yes, I have to train every aide that comes in the door.

I truly hope you are able to find someone good.

• svenfish
    svenfish Member Posts: 1
    Second Anniversary First Comment

Wow! Scary .... tho not unexpected. Not now, but probably within the year I will need helpl as my wife's dementia progresses. I dread it. Yes, I have high standards and hate the thought of strangers in my home.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ronald71111
    ronald71111 Member Posts: 1,213
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions

It's good your thinking about help, it took me longer than it should have. I used a perfessional caregiver at first, but she was not reliable. Next was a retired neighbor who I found was stealing from us. I should have realized something was wrong just by her actions. Now I'm using another neighbor and help from church members which is working out. Hope your search for the perfect solution is faster than mine was. Reach out to friends and church for suggestions and help.

Ron

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I completely agree about having cameras in your home. I have them, first before we had a caregiver, just to be able to see my dh if I went into a nother room. But with the caregiver on the time she’s here I can actually see what interaction she might have with dh. I found out as soon as I leave the house she’s on her phone watching movies and my dh is sitting watching tv. I think this is why many of them are actually called “sitters “. It gives me time to go to the grocery store or if I have a dr appointment. And this is a CNA and supposedly has 15 years of experience with dementia patients. Wishing you good luck!

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

In my case, my husband is at a stage where very little inter action is possible or required, and he won't even watch TV, and never has wanted to, even in the earlier stages. I have to explain this to care givers, and assure them that i understand that they will be "sitting" a lot. They are there to keep him safe, monitor him when he is up and about for balance, and make lunch, give personal care as warranted. So far i've been fortunate to have people who have been recommended by others in my community,neighbors and families who have employed them. A lot of this IS sitting. I'm grateful for the time away.So, as the disease progresses, the job description changes, and we need to keep that in mind.

'

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited October 2023

Anytime you bring a hired worker into your home you have to establish a level of trust and comfort with that person. We had housekeepers for years and they spent many hours over the years alone in our home cleaning as do the cleaning people for many other people we know. Generally housekeepers are in the home when the owner is at work or away. Babysitters are also in the home alone with children. Valuables and documents are generally locked in a safe place.

We hired a caregiver for a few hours per week through an agency and she has been with us for about a year and a half. My husband gets along with her very well. It isn’t easy finding caregivers who are familiar with taking care of dementia patients and it can be expensive. But she is dependable. Although the agency advertises light housekeeping along with care, I’ve made it clear that she is responsible only for his care and not any kind of housework. I am in a different part of the house when the caregiver is here other than for quick trips to the grocery store or my own medical appointments and am always reachable by phone or text.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more