Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Making changes to routines better sooner than later

dancsfo
dancsfo Member Posts: 290
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I read in the forum that it's better to make some changes sooner than later, since a PWD can still adjust to it. Examples: use of a bidet, use of safety equipment, senior's telephone. Thus learn to use those before you're unable to learn.

I was under the impression that a PWD can only/mostly recall things from many years ago, but I believe, depending on the stage, some new memories and training is possible.

This is in anticipation of eventual decline, and hoping that some ability to use something will "stick" in the PWD's mind and forestall a problem or the inability of learning something new. Of course, an eventual decline may mean one forgets both the new and old.

Pros and cons:

Pros: It's better to do it before a major event or accident, one can still be trained, thus what you learn get imprinted in memory a bit longer.

Cons: PWD can object, saying: "I can do this fine", and can lead to arguments ("It's unnecessary! I've been doing this for years!")

I think nudging slowly is good, as opposed to a sudden switch. So if you get an inkling that some ability is in decline, make changes before it's too late?

At the extreme, an example can be the "indignity" of being placed in AL or MC before it's really necessary. Hence better to be "settled in" with a smoother transition, as opposed to getting surprised by being pulled in there suddenly.

That's a whole different category, but it's the same line of reasoning.

Tagged:

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney