Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just an update

Well it's been awhile since I posted about my dw. She continues her decline, more falls thank God no major injuries , incontinence is setting in, she can hardly walk and now eating is something she doesn't seem too interested in and she is starting to sleep more, not wanting to get up. I can touch her with my cold hands under her arms and she doesn't respond, if I sit on the edge of the bed she opens her eyes only to close them again. It seems the last few months that it has been a major physical decline. I have another trip planned for the middle of October but now I am wondering if this is the beginning of the end?

The new house is little by little getting some touches of slowing becoming a home not loving it though, cars driving by all night and street lights, I don't know if I can get acclimated to all this. If my dw passes anytime soon I will move again to become secluded back in a holler somewhere.

I still visit every day and many times twice since I am so close to the mcf. If I make this trip home it will only be the second time I will be away. I have more stuff to bring to people to fulfill my dw's last wishes which is one of the reasons I will make this 1200 mile trip again. Of course seeing family and the foliage are other reasons for this journey. Maybe I'll get to that seafood restaurant again.

I think of you all as I read your posts and realize how we are all tied together by this hated disease. I pray every morning calling your names before God knowing that He cares for us all.

Stewart

Comments

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I hope you get to go on your trip. Fulfilling promises is important. Thanks you for the prayers. It means a lot.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's decline. It really does have to be heartbreaking to witness. I'm always talking about the day all of this is over "for me". I sound so selfish, but the reality is I don't want to see my wife decline like that. It would be very difficult.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Stewart, I'm sorry to hear the bad news. Hopefully she will not decline any further, and you will be able to make the trip.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thinking of you as you decide to go or not go. Sorry to hear your DW is beginning physical decline. Prayers as you ponder future decisions

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Steward so sorry to hear about your wife. I hope you get take your trip to go see your family . My dh is still at home but he is progressing more in the last few months. He can barely walk and that’s just from his bed to his chair in the living room. I have to make sure he uses his walker because if he should fall there is no way I would be able to get him up. He now sleeps around 14 hours. Rarely gets out of his recliner until bedtime. He doesn’t eat but once a day and doesn’t really want that. Like so many others I hate this disease! But I know God is good and only thorough Him can I do this. Prayers for you and your wife!!

• Daughter of a Marine
    Daughter of a Marine Member Posts: 55
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Hello, Toolbeltexpert - I'm so sorry you're going through this heartache - my DH was diagnosed with dementia 11 years ago and has progressed significantly over the past year. He has aphasia and can't find his words, has lost weight and does not remember names of our kids and grandkids. I'm not sure what lies ahead but my research tells me it's going to be rough waters. Will you please add us to your prayers - God is good and faithful and I am relying on Him for strength and stamina for the days ahead. You and your precious dw are also in my prayers. This horrible disease is beyond cruel.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more