Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

SHEETS FOR HOSPITAL BED

Hello,

My DH is going into a hospital bed this weekend. It will be long enough to accomodate his height 6'2".

Do I use xtra long twin size fitted sheets?

Are there other options?

What about mattress padding?

Any tips would be welcome. He literally went from walking with assistance up and down our long driveway, to bed bound in one month.

Thanks,

Maureen

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited October 2023

My wife got a hospital bed about 2 months ago and I purchase the XL twin sheets set, they fit the bed perfectly.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

The hospital beds do take extra long sheets, they are easy to find. In fact, college dorm beds usually need extra long sheets, so one can always find them. I suggest getting several sets to change should there be an accident. There are also fitted mattress pads in extra long as well as bedspreads.

If you need to pad the bed for incontinence, then the incontinence pads need not be fitted so they can be changed with ease.

J.

• annewilder
    annewilder Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Maureen, my husband's hospital bed is coming this week. He is 6'3" and 225 lbs. I was told my the physical therapist who comes to our home to go get a new mattress for it from a mattress store. He didn't rec a tempurpedic pad because they can make it hard to turn over. I think I have a few XL sheets from my son's college days.....please keep in touch with me.....I'd like to have a friend I can ask questions of. Thanks, Anne

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hi Anne,

Oh boy I'm not sure what to do. I was going to get a 2.5 inch thick mattress pad for my DH, he's 6,2" and is down to 170 , very thin and bony. But being able to turn him easily is important! Maybe i'll go for the thinner pad. At the moment he is in a twin bed, too short for him, and he's sore from a fall that he had on Friday. I use washable quilted pads with a rayon/nylon bottom as a draw sheet to turn him and they work well. The fabric does the work and flips the patient . Of course my husband hates the whole process, but i'm developing thick skin at this point!

The bed is supposed to be here by Tuesday. Ill keep you posted. I cant believe how quickly we got to this stage.

Take Care,

Maureen

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@gampiano

You should ask the hospice provider about getting you an alternating pressure mattress to avoid skin breakdown and pressure sores.

The Best Mattresses for Pressure Relief and Bedsores (2023) (2023) - Sleep Advisor

HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney