Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I'm Struggling

2»

Comments

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    edited October 2023

When you're ready, I second the idea of placing your husband in respite care for 30 days at a MC facility to see how it goes.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

"It's interesting Brenda-one of the very nice caregivers at our MC yesterday said to me that depending on the pay, she would love to help me bring my partner back home."

@M1

I think it's terrible and highly unprofessional for that caregiver to say that to you. It's hard enough to place someone in MC and to have a caregiver cast doubt on your decision is unconscionable.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Easy23- i agree with you.

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Brenda,

I too am praying for you as you struggle with the move to memory care. 🙏 I too know the struggle with this difficult decision. I moved DW to memory care 2 months ago. In my mind I knew it was the right thing to do. Even so, my heart was screaming NO. Both my health and hers were a major factor.

I still have moments of grief and I miss her even though I vist most days. However, she is well cared for, my stress levels are so much lower, and both of us are able to better deal with our health issues.

I echo the thoughts of the previous posters. Try to chose the best option, both for your DH and for you, with wisdom not emotion. You are clearly a loving caregiver. I know you will do what is best. I'll pray for you as you do.

Tom

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney