Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Home aide

Hello all

Ive been preparing for the day I may have to put hubby in memory care. Hope I never do which has me thinking about homecare. We have long term insurance which covers home care and if I only used homecare he’s covered for 5 years. Of course along the way might need to switch to memory care but if he can stay home for as long as possible the better.

I don’t know if I should put him on waitlist. The thing is this place wants one thousand dollars to put him on waitlist. If we never use them I will be refunded or if they have space for him and we are still not ready they will still keep him on waitlist. If we use them they will deduct the monies from first month rent. What to do? Should I have him on a waitlist? By the way right now they have only one person waitlisted. Thanks.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

If I were in your shoes, I'd keep an eye on the wait list to see if others are getting on it. You don't want to get to the point where he needs placement, but can't get in because they are full. You can put the money down to hold your place whenever you feel it would be in your best interest. But you should be sure this is the one you want before putting your money down. You really should look at what is available in your area, then consider the pros and cons of each.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Kit kat,.

How fortunate you are to have long term care insurance. My suggestion: start utilizing it ,that's why you have it.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Dear Katcat,

My DH was on a waiting list ($500.00 refundable) at an AL facility with a MC wing near our home, “just in case”. Meanwhile, I researched other facilities and settled on a stand alone MCF about 44 miles away which was much better suited for Alz/ dementia patients. (No waitlist at the time.) I kept him at home for 11 1/2 years; he was at the MCF for 17 months before he passed. The deposit was refunded at my request; he had risen to the top of the waitlist once. I would take time now to do some thorough research so you’re not limited in your choices. Good luck.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 2023

Good for you for knowing about LTC. I had never heard of it but when I became aware I got it for me.

One thing to think about is what the quality of the facility will be if/when you decide to place.

Another consideration is how many hours you would need in home care and for what period of time. those things you can only guestimate.

Judith

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney