Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Disagreement with the hospice nurse

What do you do if you disagree with the hospice nurse? DH is currently on Haldol and Clonazepam. He's starting to have some issues with swallowing, but only occasionally. The hospice nurse took him off soft foods 3 weeks ago and has me only giving him ice chips and popsicles. Now she wants to take him off his meds and put him on morphine. I asked her why, when he seems to be stable. She said Haldol and Clonazepam aren't normally used at this stage. She wants him sedated. She said he's in pain. But he's not grimacing or moaning when we move him. I've asked him if he's in pain and he says he's not. He's been saying goodbye to the people he cares about. I told her I want to let him have the opportunity to continue saying goodbye until I felt he was done. She said he's just in a repetitive cycle, but he's not. I'm with him 24/7 and can see what's happening. She breezes in and out in 10-15 minutes and I don't think she can get a good idea of what's happening with him in such a brief visit. I'm not trying to prolong his death, but I'm also not trying to speed it up. Not sure what to do at this point. Any advice?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I would say consider a different hospice. There are many, and you don't have to stick with the same one. Or if you don't want to do that, speak with someone else in the organization about the difference of opinion to see what they have to say. I hope you can find something that works for you.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You can request a care conference with your Social Worker and RN to discuss the issue and plan of care going forward..

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 2023

Do have a conference ASAP. The social worker is there for you!

You can request a different nurse and you can change Hospices.

You do know your husband best!!!

This may be of interest;

Use of Haloperidol in Alzheimer's Disease | AAFP

Note...there may be little training for care in dementia

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia