Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Refusing to see neurologist or take new meds

My wife has mild Alzheimer, was on a trail for couple of months took off , started taking meds but got rude effect. Now won’t take or go to neurologist. I know in denial

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi charley. My partner also had side effects to both Aricept and Namenda, and because she was on a lot of other meds, we never pursued anything else. I don't think we lost much by not treating; if she has a good primary care person you could discuss it with them. Regarding denial-get yourself educated about anosognosia, it's a feature of the disease where she really can't appreciate that there's anything wrong. Quite different from denial, and very common.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 884
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH who has Alzheimer's didn't want to go to the doctors either. So I don't tell him until that morning. We always go in the afternoon. I tell him he's going to a doctor and the doctor might give him pills to help his brain. Fib if you have to. Tell her you will ask the doctor (don't say Neurologist) for pills to make her feel better. Also get a referral to a Geriatric Psychiatrist if you can. They are the ones to best manage any medications. Also call her primary care doctor and see if he can help get her to a doctor. I wouldn't pressure her to take the trial meds if she had side effects. The Neurologist put my DH on Risperidone and it has helped his sleeping and seems to have made him calmer. Once she sees the doctor the first time, they might do video telehealth visits or phone calls so she doesn't have to go.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you so very much. She’s in such denial right now. It wasn’t trial meds/or no meds that had side effect it was one of the prescribe meds approved. But I see her forgetting things thst are said from just hours ago. Very sad but it is what it is together 55 yrs not giving up on her

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 884
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

they put my husband on Mirtazapine for depression and it was terrible. 2 nights of hell. The doctor took him off of it immediately. I have read that many people can't take it. He's on low dose Risperidone AM/PM and it seems to be helping his agitation and helping him sleep better. Please keep us posted.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Charley, your LO is not in denial, she has anosognosia, she doesn't even know she is the way she is. Feel free to use the work-arounds that the members use.

Iris

• charley0419

What is “ work around?”

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

@charley0419 "What is “ work around?” It's other ways to handle things, instead of thinking she's in denial. It's coming to terms that she has no idea there is a problem. Acceptance.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

@charley0419 work arounds that help me sometimes are using small fibs to change the topic/redirect my husband's attention and gain cooperation. For example to get him to the doctor, I make the appointment and don't mention until we're on the way. And if he's resistant I say it's just a follow-up for insurance.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Another way of saying what is posted above, a work-around is a method of getting things done without a direct confrontation of the PWD. Ed's links have good explanations and tips also. In general, much of what is discussed on the boards are work-arounds because the PWDs are unable to cooperate much or at all in their own care and safety.

Iris

• charley0419

Had bad start to day telling DW going to neurologist, she was pissed at me right up to seeing Dr. Didn’t do well with questions, the clock she hates it, took 3 guesses at year etc. all else went well just her there was a great thing. Put her on Namenda. Also have another appointment which she’s ok with. I know can change in heart best. But taking meds big deal. I’m happy today

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more