Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New diagnosis of Mild Cognitive Impairment for husband

Hello all - my first post here. I'm going to type out words - I've found that the list of acronyms is limited. What is NP, for example? Anyway, husband has experienced memory decline for about two years. Finally went to a neurologist today (I was along for note taking), and received a diagnosis of Mild Cognitive Impairment. He knew and admitted something was going on, and now we can move forward with this diagnosis. I've read through several conversations in this forum, but haven't found a recommendation on a book or two that I, as spouse and potential caregiver, can read to educate myself. Any recommendations from you folks? Thx.

Comments

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello and welcome. You will definitely need to attend all future appointments with your husband . There is a thread for books , articles that are helpful and maybe someone else can let you know how to access it. My first recommendation is the newest edition of “ The 36 hour day “ and any publication by Tam Cummings . So glad you found this forum!

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome. I'm sorry you and your husband are going through this. I second the recommendation from Jgirl. That book has been incredibly helpful to me. As has this forum (seriously, it has been my lifeline). NP most likely refers to nurse practitioner. Ask questions, vent, get to know the other people here. We're all somewhere on this journey and everyone is supportive.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

P.S. When you get the book, The 36 hour Day, start with the chapter about MCI. The book is eye opening, but I recommended to read the MCI chapter first .

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited October 2023

Hi Sally. Welcome to the site, but sorry you need it. I agree that NP stands for nurse practitioner. NPs, at least in Indiana, work much like a doctor. They can diagnose and write prescriptions.

Add to the recommendation for the 36 hour day, this reading on dementia. https://www.smashwords.com/extreader/read/210580/1/understanding-the-dementia-experience#hlangandcommun   This is not to say your husband has dementia, but MCI is often later diagnosed as dementia. There are many conditions that mimic the symptoms of dementia, and they need to be ruled out before a proper diagnosis can be made. Some of these conditions can be treated, and the symptoms, for example memory decline, can possibly disappear. Here are only a few, and there are more than 50 - https://www.veteranshealthlibrary.va.gov/Encyclopedia/142,85069_VA

• FAHNJL
    FAHNJL Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Hi, welcome to our foxhole. Yes to all of the above and so you feel better about it, it took me a few months to get all of the acronyms. Haha

• RCT
    RCT Member Posts: 54
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Welcome….my husband was diagnosed with MCI in 2016….by 2018 he had an Alzheimer diagnosis…he stopped driving in 2019 and its then I took over finances and all major decisions. His decline has been slow. I belong to a local support group and am seeing a therapist once a month. You have a great resources here…this is not a journey to go alone!! We all care about you! Blessings

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 884
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello and welcome. You are in the right place for info & support. My DH was diagnosed 2 years ago but looking back had symptoms for several years. I found an old CT scan that showed he had white matter disease in 2015. Within a few months of his diagnosis he could no longer read & understand documents or sign his name. Go to an elder care attorney now and get him to sign a DPOA. (Durable Power of Attorney). You will need it. I have used it to sell our RV, rent an apartment & buy a new car. As other have said the book "The 36 Hour Day" really helped me early on. It was recommended by a nurse. It helped me understand why he wasn't showering and gave tips on how to get him to shower. My husband is now Stage 5 going into Stage 6. Here's a handout someone posted that helped me understand the different types of memory loss and what behaviors occur in each stage. I use this as a reference to keep track of his behaviors and take the list to his doctors appointments. It has helped them know what medications to give him for his agitation, depression and delusions. Please keep us posted. Sending hugs.

• SallyinSB
    SallyinSB Member Posts: 7
    First Comment

Hi and thank you for your comments. I think this is going to be tough! You mentioned a handout about types of memory loss attached to your message, but I don't see an attachment. Could you please send it? Sounds quite useful. Thank you again.

• SallyinSB
    First Comment

Thank you - will get that book next week. Sounds really useful.

• SallyinSB
    First Comment

Thank you for your recommendations. I'm going to get that "36 Hour Day" book that several have recommended.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more