Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

First major incontinence incident

Do I get a badge? I just spent the last hour scrubbing my bathroom because my DH dropped trou and went in the tub. I'm trying not to cry. Definitely feel like we turned a corner today.

Thanks for listening.

Comments

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hello Jeanne,

Welcome to the club. This , to me , is one of the most exhausting and upsetting aspects of the disease, and there are many. I have mopped the bathroom floor more times than i could count, as well as other areas of the house. Its hard to remain calm, and i will admit that i "LOST IT" more than once.

Eventually the disease won, and i invested in a few swiffer wet mops, and had them strategically placed for quick cleanups. Nothing worse than that urine smell.

Even though my DH was wearing pull ups, he constantly peed free style any where he decided to.

Sometimes we would have a reprieve and I would exhale for awhile, but right up to stage 7 this continued.

We are now coming to the end of the journey, as my DH is under hospice care, and in stage 7. He lost his balance while attempting to get to the bathroom, fell, and that was the incident that landed him in a hospital bed.

I wish you patience and respite . I'm sad, but also have a very calm feeling about me at this moment.

All the best,

Maureen

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Yeah, I wish it had been urine.

Hang in there Maureen. You and your husband are in my thoughts.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Jeanne, I'm sorry. That is the final straw for many caregivers. Although my wife was double incontinent, I was able to handle that OK. The final straw for me was aphasia and all the problems that came with it. But I know incontinence is no walk through a garden.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Just chiming in to say you have my complete sympathy. The first time DH had a bowel accident I remember feeling shock, (is this really happening?!), and an accompanying gut punch of fear for the future, realizing that it was probably a sign of things to come. Back then DH was mobile so there were a few accidents on the floor in his bedroom. Since then his mobility has decreased and he is in disposable underwear all the time. While that brings its own challenges it has made dealing with urinary and bowel incontinence easier in a way, since things are contained. For now I am coping, taking it in stride I guess. Had to figure out a method for cleaning him up, once I had that in place it got easier. I always have the supplies at hand and ready to go, and can get through a clean up pretty quickly. Luckily my two caregivers are also willing to cope with this situation, so I can still get an away break once in a while. If it weren't for that ... I don't know.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

One thing I should have mentioned is that it would be beneficial for you to have incontinence supplies (wipes, pull-ups or diapers, and something to put soiled supplies in) in different locations through the house. It's not fun if you find yourself needing to take care of a mishap right away, and everything you need is at the other end of the house.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Yeah, the incontinence club blows. Bad. I’m sorry you’re a new member. hang in there.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more