Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

THE END OF THE JOURNEY

Hello,

My husband ended his long and arduous journey with this dreaded disease yesterday afternoon. Thankfully we had hospice, as they swept in like angels and worked with compassion and care to make things easier for us.

Right now I am physically and mentally depleted, so i will sign off , but will write more at another time.

The years of care giving have worn me down, and it's amazing how . once i was able to lean in to the fatigue, it took over my entire being.

Blessings and Peace to all of us,

Maureen

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Maureen, I am so so sorry. No matter how hard this road has been, you are never ready for it to be over. I wish you peace and comfort in the coming times.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Thank you , Ed. You have no idea how your wise and compassionate words have encouraged and supported me throughout this ordeal.

My wish for you is joy and inner peace.

Maureen

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dearest Maureen, sending warmest thoughts your way; I am grateful that Hospice was wonderfully supportive and of great help for you.

You have gone the distance and stayed the course during difficult times; may peace and solace find you soon.

Later, when you feel up to it, let us know how you are; we will be thinking of you.

With a soft hug being sent,

J.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Maureen, so sorry to hear of your husbands passing. May you find peace and inner strength knowing you gave him loving and compassionate care.

Prayers to you.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 360
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I’m so sorry for your loss. And for everything you and he endured. Wishing you comfort, rest, and peace moving forward.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My condolences. Sending warm thoughts your way, Maureen. I'm so glad you had help at the end.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited October 2023

Maureen I am so sorry to hear of your husband’s passing. You took such good care of him and were an inspiration to me. Wishing you comfort and peace in the coming weeks.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I am sorry for your loss. Please rest as much as possible. It’s also ok to lean into doing nothing all day if you need to. Binge watch or binge read. You will come up for air at some point. Don’t be upset if you can only mark an item or two a day off your chore and things to do list.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry for your loss and glad you had the hospice team . Peace and love to you and your family.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. This final stage of caregiving must have been overwhelming for you; your DH’s sudden decline and all that accompanied it is hard to accept, although inevitable. I wish you strength, peace and comfort in the days and weeks ahead. The journey is long and sad; healing is long and sad. Blessings.🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Heartfelt condolences on your DH’s passing, Maureen. You’ve been a devoted caregiver, and now it’s time for you to rest and recover. Wishing you peace and memories of better days.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Maureen , I’m so very sorry. Please know that I’m holding you close in prayer in the coming days. Please rest and be good to yourself.

Brenda

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,314
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

White Crane, please accept my sincere condolences.I'm so sorry for your loss. You're so right, we don't realize how hard and tiring care giving is until we're no longer doing it. Now is your time to rest. Take care.

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Maureen, I add my sincere condolences on the passing of your DH. Thank you for being such a caring caregiver and wife. Your posts have been followed and helpful as well. I will continue to pray for you as you process your grief and proceed into stage 8. I wish you rest and, in time, peace.

Tom

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Maureen I am sorry to hear about your husband's passing. May stage 8 be a time of healing.

Stewart

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am sorry for your loss.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear husband. Wishing you peace and strength in the coming months.

HB

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry for your loss. Sending warm thoughts for your own recovery and rebalancing.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Maureen,

I’m sorry for the pain that’s settling in with your loss. Thoughts for rest and comfort, spiritual comfort too if that fits for you. You’ve been an incredible caregiver and maybe in his passing he is seeing that you now receive care.

You’ve been so generous here and helped so many of us. Thank you.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So, so sorry for the loss of your dear husband. Hoping that the days to come allow you to "breathe" and "rest" in the truest senses of those words.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm very sorry for you loss.

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

How well I know every stage of this miserable journey, having walked every step of it myself (my DH died in June). Maureen, I send my best wishes and my hopes that you will do whatever you need to take care of yourself in the coming days, weeks, and months. In particular, don't let anyone else tell you how to mourn. Probably no one outside this forum knows what it's like to grieve for a LO who's died of Alzheimer's or another dementia-causing illness. But we get it, as the comments above from my brothers and sisters in the struggle make clear.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Maureen, so sorry for your loss. But I can't help but feel relief, that the suffering is over for both of you. It's been a long hard journey. May you have a smoother journey ahead. Rest, take good care of yourself, and enjoy life again.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Maureen I’m so sorry for the loss of your husband. You have truly been a wonderful caregiver for your husband. You have contributed a lot to this forum with insight and inspiring questions. My prayers are with you and your family. Be kind to yourself during this time knowing you went above and beyond in caring and supporting your loved one.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Maureen, I’m sorry. Be gentle with yourself as you go through the upcoming transition.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((Maureen))) Adding my voice to the many who are expressing love, sorrow, sympathy, and encouragement at this sad time. What a blessing you have been to this community while providing such loving care for your DH.

I am in wishing mode this day, both wishing we all could be spared this tough journey, and that our loved ones did not have this disease. Not reality, so I wish you peace, blessings, and healing in time.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Maureen, My sincere condolences on the loss of your husband. May you find peace in the days ahead.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 440
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Very sorry for your loss, Maureen.

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Maureen, I am so sorry to hear of your husband's passing. After such a long journey, the sudden nature of it must be especially difficult for you. I wish you comfort and healing, safe in the knowledge that his battle is finally over and he is at peace.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more