Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New thread from GloriaByington

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

"First time posting. My DH seems to be in a downward spiral. He has dementia & onset of Hydrocephalus. He is unable to walk without support and is now mostly in a wheelchair except when I take him to the toilet from our bed when he uses a walker w/me helping to steady the walker. He still received Physical Therapy 2x/week & seems to be getting weaker. He is now starting to feel major pain in his head & neck when getting up from the bed. This is concerning. He is home w a p/t caregiver. & me, the full time caregiver. Does anyone have experience w/dementia & hydrocephalus? Please let me know. Thank you."

Has anyone mentioned what can be done for hydrocephalus? I don't want to give you false hope, but it might be possible to treat this, and lessen (or eliminate) the associated symptoms. Others with more knowledge will reply, I'm sure. Best of luck to you.

Comments

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Hydrocephalus can be treated surgically with a ventriculoperitoneal shunt. I assume your husband has been evaluated by a neurosurgeon?

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

ttt

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia