Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Mum referred to memory clinic

Thankfully the doctor responded to my letter and called my Mum for a health check. Asked her several questions (including about cataract operation) and at the end asked if Dad had any concerns and he mentioned the memory issues. Dementia and Alzheimers were not mentioned but she has now been referred to a memory clinic. What can we expect from this?

On a positive note, I had been concerned about the lack of cleanliness in the house and her clothes always looked like she had spilled tea down them. Since her first cataract operation last week she has suddenly realised how dirty things are and has started cleaning. I am taking that as a positive. I am going to go an help her each week which will give her some other social contact.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. Those all sound like positive developments.....

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited October 2023

Titanif, welcome to the site. It is excellent for learning and support. We are all here for one another,and we understand when most people do not.

It's great that the cataract surgery seems to be very successful.

What can you expect from the memory clinic? Tests, tests, and more tests. Everything that could cause the symptoms of dementia must be ruled out before a diagnosis can be made properly. Once a diagnosis is made, you might be given a prescription for medication. At that point, don't expect much from the doctor. Most of the time they will give you the prescription, then say "I'll see you in six months". That's a big reason this forum is so great. You will learn a lot more here than you will from a doctor. And if she has dementia, people here will help you get through the disease.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 884
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Titanif, welcome. This is the place for info and support. Sorry about your Mum. One thing that will help them with a diagnosis is if you will keep a list of her behaviors and take it with you. They will be looking at her physically but won't be able to know how she's behaving. When I sent my husband's doctors a list of his behaviors, they changed his diagnosis. Please keep us posted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more