Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Safe Decongestants/pain relievers

New guy here. My dad and I have been taking care of my mom for about six years now. She has dementia, not Alzheimers specifically.

I'm looking for recommendations for over the counter meds that are safe for her to take for runny noses and aches and pains. Google has given me unhelpful and contradictory info. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Chris and welcome! Our pharmacist recommended Zyrtec for sniffles/runny nose after looking at what medicines my husband was taking and I asked our doctor what over the counter for occasion al aches -pains and they recommended acetaminophen or ibuprofen . ( we use the store brands) . I would recommend always check with her medical team . If there is an online portal for her doctor that is a big help for asking medical questions . Glad you posted and there are several members here with informative medical information.

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 2023

Hi Chris - Welcome to 'here', but sorry for the reason.

To be on the safe side, best to check anything with her doctor, or the pharmacist could also help. In most cases, Tylenol is safe for pain. There are many factors to consider with anything over-the-counter. MIL can have Tylenol, and if a cold starts with cough, she can have the generic 'Cough and Cold HPB'. Due to a blood-pressure issue, she would not be able to have zyrtec safely. Due to her vascular dementia, she is on a thinner plus low-dose aspirin to prevent yet another stroke, so she cannot have ibuprofen, either. So although 'google' is helpful, her doc or pharmacist would be best. (and checking with the pharmacist is always free)

Edit to add: if there are any liver issues, Tylenol (acetaminophen) is also not advised. So again, yeah, best to check.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I would check with her PCP or pharmacist. I personally would use single medication OTCs rather than those that include multiple ingredients she might not need.

Tylenol is typically recommended but may be on the no-fly list if she has had liver issues. Watch the daily dose and be certain she isn't taking any other meds with acetaminophen.

For sniffles? If it's allergies, something like Zyrtec or Claritin daily during her allergy season would work. I add Flonase during spring tree season. If it's a cold, I like Dimetapp.

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I remember moms neurologist saying never use Benadryl, even the lotion or ointment, after her diagnosis of Alzheimer’s. He prescribed a different type of medication for her allergy symptoms.

Hope you find some helpful info and solutions.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more