Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Little things that make it real

Belle
Belle Member Posts: 117
Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

DH was diagnosed in June 2022 and it's taken me a year to wrap my head around what exactly is wrong with his brain. It's been hard since his doctors will not use the word "dementia" in their discussions with me. Finally a family member who is a doctor took the time to talk to me about what exactly is going on ...VaD or mixed alz and VaD. It's been painfully sinking into my brain that this has been going on a long time. Last week I found a note in my phone from 2017 over how confused he was painting the house and how he was leaving outside doors open and going to bed for the night. But a small thing happened yesterday that felt like a gut punch for some reason. He was trying to put dishes in the dishwasher and couldn't figure out if it was on or off. He asked me if the red light meant that it was on. A very, very small thing but it hurt to hear him ask that question. We've had the same type of dishwasher for over a decade and he installed all of them. We see his neurologist this week and I am going to do a write up describing the issues I'm seeing. I hate everything about dementia not just for what it's doing to him but the impact on me too.

Comments

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It’s so dang hard. Hugs to you.

The one that currently gets me is when my SO hands me the tv remote when I ask if she’s seen my phone.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Or when my DH wakes up at 7:15 a.m. and asks me if it's night or morning.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

....about the word dementia...My husband totally came unglued when he heard that word. It is difficult to hear and that may be the reason the Dr has not said "dementia" in front of your husband or even when talking to you alone.

While the road is steep and bumpy you will have us by your side. We will listen, support and share some solutions to smooth things out.

-Judith

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 884
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome. I know how you feel. The gut punches just keep coming. Don't be afraid to demand a diagnosis. He probably won't remember it anyway. My DH was diagnosed 2 years ago with Dementia possible vascular but they recently changed it to ALZ-Posterior Cortical Atrophy. Is he seeing a Neurologist? If so, call and speak to the doctor without your husband hearing and ask directly for a diagnosis. Make a list of his behaviors and give to the Neurologist. That helped them change my DH's diagnosis. Neurologist are only looking at brain scans and don't see any of the behaviors. They are only with the doctor a few minutes and there is no way the doctors can know about behaviors unless you tell them. My DH's PCP keeps making referrals for things and I think she forgets that he has ALZ. My DH can no longer use the phone, microwave, leaves cabinet doors open, gets lost at night going to the bathroom. He's now struggling with the TV channels & remote. This morning he had a meltdown because he wanted to watch Wonder Woman which came on at 11am and he was trying to watch it at 10:30. Here's a handout someone else posted here that you can use to document his behavior to help you communicate with his doctors: https://tala.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Tam-Cummings-LLC-Handouts.pdf

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Belle, May I suggest that when you run the dishwasher or clothes washing machine that you tape a sign on the machines that says "please do not open." My DH doesn't know where the microwave is let alone use it, doesn't know where his phone is and needs a special "dementia phone." I put a luggage apple tracker in his wallet just in case. He usually messes up the remote so I just fix the programming when that happens. You just learn to adapt and make the best of the situation to help them maintain dignity and not get frustrated.

I am so sorry as the progression of the disease is horrible.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Belle, I've always said there are no small losses. Every one of them hurts, but I think in many cases the early losses are the things that cause us to embrace acceptance, and that's a very important thing to do.

• Carmen M
    Carmen M Member Posts: 30
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

We are all here to listen to your struggles. I am reading the book The 36 Hour Day which has been very helpful to understand behaviors.

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited October 2023

Thank you for your kind responses. I am not ready to go through this again. Our other family member passed away just a few months before I started seeing that something was wrong with DH. At the time I started making notes about his issues but I was so busy with the other situation and then trying to catch up on everything that was neglected during that timeframe that I think I just wrote things off as one time issues. So this situation shouldn't be a shock to me. I will try some of the suggestions made here. I am re-reading the 36 hour day and I am already looking at MCF's. I probably will start another thread on issues I'm having with the VA around his diagnosis and treatment plan.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more