Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Long ago and far away

Today marks 6 months since DH passed and today this popped up on FB “memories” from 9 years ago. So bittersweet. It’s hard to believe that things went South so fast.

. I miss him every day, but reminders like this are comforting.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Great picture. Great couple!

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Beachfan, Beautiful picture and great memory I’m sure. I have our version of this picture from 5 years ago in Turks and Caicos. DW has age so much since then that other visitors or new staff at the MC will often ask if DW is my mother, I will tell them she is my wife and show them that picture so them can see how young & beautiful she was just a few years ago.

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Oh my, what a sharp picture. They bring such pleasure, don't they?

Michele💘

• Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

What a great picture. These are the things that pop up in our life and what makes us smile and makes us sad at the same time. I am happy you found it comforting. I pray it brought a smile to your face and thoughts of better days. God's Blessings to you. Richard

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Thanks for the reminder that some sweet memories outlast this terrible disease. I've gotten to the point where I wonder whether some of these will resurface for me when/if I reach Stage 8.

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Great picture. I'm glad it brings fond memories. Thank you for the reminder to focus on the good. Even in the hard times of life I am reminded to count my many blessings. Peace and joy to you.

Tom

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Memories are kept alive with so much love! Thanks for sharing this beautiful photo and the love you shared.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

What a happy couple. Great memories to hold close to your heart. You will see him again someday.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

What a great pic! I'm glad you're at the point where you can see something like that, and have good memories. I'd like to bet you have a lot of pics with good memories to make you feel better.

I was looking through some pics today, and I found what I think is the only one where our whole family was in it. We had 9 kids, and this was taken in 1989 or 1990.

• LilySue
    LilySue Member Posts: 37
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I was so happy to see your name here. Your postings after your husband's passing were very meanigful to me. I felt that our experiences were so similar.

It's been 9 months since my DH passed away, and while I'm usually fine, i honestly feel like tears are right behind my eyes and can emerge at a moment's notice. I'm staying busy as I'm sure you are too and that helps. In April i went with my son and daughter-in-law and her family to Guatemala for 10 days, and in July I spent 2 1/2 weeks in England with my daughter, son-in-law, and grandson for my grandson's college graduation. I would not have made these trips if DH was still with me, so his passing has freed me a bit - i dreaded not being with him when his time came, and I'm very grateful I could be with him. He likely didn’t know, but I did.

Life does go on, and I'm very aware that we all grieve differently. I miss him very much, but i also grieve his very long suffering, 12 years post-stroke that left him totally without language and then a long road into dementia. Everyone on this site has their own grief story, all different, but we have a common bond that ties us together. I'm thankful to feel not so alone on this journey.

• Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Beautiful photo! DH and I have a photo with the same pose--but we were 25 years old:) We never, ever forget even a moment, do we? Every thing, every photo, etc. brings back a memory. Take care! Lills

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Beautiful! I can feel the joy in my heart. Thank you for sharing.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Beautiful photo. Good memories. Blessings.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Beautiful photo. Precious memories. ❤️

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia