Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Alzheimer's in Families

LJCHR
LJCHR Member Posts: 193
100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I just learned yesterday that my SIL will be moving to MC this week and has been placed on Hospice. She is my DH only sibling. She was diagnosed about 2 years prior to my DH.

We had dinner with her at a restaurant on June 13 - and now, 4 months later, she is unable to walk, bathe herself, and is incontinent.

My DH Mother and 4 Aunts all died of Alzheimer's. This disease certainly seems to "run" in families. Scares me to death of how quickly it progresses.

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I'm sorry. How sad that must be for all involved.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    edited October 2023

DH first went to the neurologist after his sister was diagnosed. He was worried as his mother had died of dementia. He felt something was off. Neurologist told him he tested normal and to stop worrying. Because DH insisted he was worried, the neurologist had him come back at regular intervals. He kept testing normal, until he didn't. Since then two more sisters have been diagnosed with dementias.

So, in his case, it definitely is a family thing. His mom, and three of his five sisters, have or had a dementia diagnosis. I'm not sure his children realize the significance of the family history as they are mostly in denial of his diagnosis. I'm not sure what scares me the most -- that it starts to move fast (like two sisters) or that it lingers for multiple years in late stages (like his mom).

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more