Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Help

Why is it so difficult to receive respite help. I'm the only caregiver for my husband. He is blind, disabled and in middle/late stage Alzheimer. I feel so alone and exhausted. He does not sleep well at night which adds to my exhaustion. I have reached out to the county and Alzheimer association.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Another possibility would be to connect with your local council on aging. They may be able to point you toward respite options and also help you figure out long-term care options. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

hello,

I had a similar situation to yours. First, it would help to address the lack of sleep. We went through several rx's before we found the one that worked, and finally got a good result with Depakote. The only way i was able to be offered respite was through Hospice. They offered me a 5 day respite plan where my DH would be in their facility with 24 hour care . I was just about to take it when he became bedridden and passed away.

It was also through the Hospice doctor that we were able to find a sleep solution.

Definitely reach out to Council On Aging, as they sometimes have programs available where you could get a few hours to yourself.

I hope for you.

Maureen

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living