Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Daycare for EOD PWD

Belle
Belle Member Posts: 117
Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Yesterday while talking to an attorney I mentioned that our local adult day care will not accept anyone under the age of 60. She had a suggestion for a non-governmental program that would probably accept DH. Ever since he retired over 2 1/2 years ago he has sat in front of a computer playing games and watching youtube videos or napping. That's it. He doesn't want to go out to eat or go to a park or museum or anything else. He is stage 4 if I had to stage him. He likes to talk to people so I think he may actually like daycare but everyone looks so much older than him, at least 20+ years if I had to guess. Does anyone have any experience with EOD and daycare? I need to start building up some respite resources since I don't feel he can be left for more than 2 hours at a time.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited October 2023

@Victoria2020 Honestly I have no idea if 2 hours is too little or too much, that's just the timeframe I start to feel like I need to check on him . I am going to have the geriatric care manager I met with come out and evaluate him as soon as possible so I can make some decisions about how to move forward. I was hoping that he would qualify for a daycare program (and that I could somehow get him out the door to go to the location). At least if he was out of the house under supervised care I could run errands during that time.

• Sunshine2024
    Sunshine2024 Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments 5 Likes

Keep talking to local people and keep looking. We are lucky we have a Day Program in our little town. My LOWD is 53. He goes 3 days per week and loves it.

Good luck!

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 884
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Keep looking. One way to get him there is to tell him he needs to help the others there. Many respond to that. They think they are "working" Hope you find something that he likes. ALZ.org has a resource page where you can search. Go here and click on the box that says Community Services. Many Assisted Living centers have daycare. Probably not free but worth a look. https://www.communityresourcefinder.org/?_gl=1*1rp72ga*_ga*NTMwMzc4NDE2LjE2ODIxOTY4Mjc.*_ga_9JTEWVX24V*MTY5ODI3NjAxNS4xNTYuMS4xNjk4Mjc2ODQ2LjYwLjAuMA..

One question the nurse asked my DH 18 months ago was what he would do in case a fire broke out in our apartment. He thought for a long time and then said "I guess I would try to put it out" ... not I would call 911 and get out. She talked to him some more and asked him again, was there anything else he would do.. He was again very quiet for a long time and said "no"... that smacked me upside the head. I never left him alone after that. If the evaluator doesn't ask that question, you should.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more