Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Feeling lost

LizaJane
LizaJane Member Posts: 1
Second Anniversary

Hi Everyone!! I am 52 years old and was diagnosed with MCI a year ago and started on Mementine almost a year ago. I had neuro psych testing, an MRI, EEG and 2 spinal taps. My doctor suspects EOA so he started me on Mementine. It has helped but just recently has started helping less. My doctor told me on my last visit thst I need to find an Alzheimer’s neurologist because he had helped all that he could. I left in tears because it was hard enough to find him. I can’t seem to get any recommendations for a good doctor. I live near Atlanta Georgia. My brain is not ok. I almost got in a head on collision last month because I stopped in on coming traffic while following directions and my brain just shut down. I’ve gotten lost several times while driving in the last 2 years. I left my full time job a year ago hoping that giving up the stress would help. It didn’t help slow the confusion and memory loss down. My husband and adult children have been documenting the changes in my personality. It’s really scaring me. My doctor said maybe I should get in a trial at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida but gave me no guidance. I guess I’m looking for help in this chat room😊

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome, LizaJane. I'm sorry you have to be here. But this is the right place to be, because there is a lot you can learn.

First of all, you must immediately stop driving. It's just too complex and too stressful for you now. Your locality probably has transportation for disabled people. You should apply for that.

I hope your doctor also did extensive medical evaluation with blood tests to rule out medical dementia mimics. We're you tested for sleep apnea? That can cause brain problems.

If indeed you do have Early Alzheimer's Disease, there is much that can be done to help your journey. Don't be afraid, you can take matters into your own hands. As yet there is no cure, but there is help! There are lifestyle habits you can do to improve your functioning and to prolong the early stages. This will allow you time to do the things you need to do and want to do.

Medication can help. Aricet or Exelon patch is recommended for the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease. Usually a neurologist begins the prescription, and the primary doctor can continue.

Since you are near Atlanta, search for a university memory clinic. I'm sure Emory has one. Or search for an "Alzheimer's Disease Research Center" close to you. You can also call your local chapter of the Alzheimer's Association and ask to speak to a Care Consultant. This is a social worker with expertise in dementia care and family dynamics. Ask for the location of a memory clinic close to you. The Care Consultant can help you find other resources, also. The number is 1-800-272-3900. This consultation is free, and is available 24 hours a day.

Are you applying for Social Security Disability Insurance? You may need a lawyer, but the Care Consultant can tell you about Compassionate Allowance, which can fast-track your application.

There is more to tell, but this is enough for now. Please post back and keep us updated.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney