Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I find it hard to get my head around this!!

im Married 54 1/2 yrs , you live most of your life with your mate and know everything about them. You know there moods likes and dislikes then this terrible illness hits someone close and you slowly see a different person emerging , very sad to watch it’s like an illness that surly makes the other suffer in a different mental way. HEARTBREAKING.

Comments

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Yes, it is heartbreaking. Unfortunately, you look at them out of different eyes. You love them dearly but they go from being your spouse to being your child. This is a horrible disease that is life changing.

Try to stay strong and know that you are their strength.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Charlie, I know what you're saying. I was 20, and my wife was 18 when we got married. She died sixteen months ago after 64 1/2 years of marriage. Her pain is gone. Mine, not so much.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

She had dementia, stage 6 when she passed unexpectedly.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I don't know if I ever got my head wrapped around this illness. I think I mostly just stumbled from day to day trying to make things better or at least run as smoothly as possible. It was exhausting.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It’s was exhausting or is ???

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 884
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You are so right. This disease is heartbreaking and terrifying for both the person with the disease and their caregiver. If you haven't done so, please read the book "The 36 Hour Day" which was recommended by a nurse. It helped explain the disease and gives tips on how to handle the behaviors. Remember it's the disease, not the person. As behaviors emerge, there are medications that may help. I keep a list of the behaviors and send it to all of my DH's doctors. They only see him for a short time and have no idea how he's progressing. It has helped me communicate with them. Caring for a LO with memory loss is both physically & mentally exhausting. This is the place to learn, get support and vent. Sending hugs.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care