Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What are expected costs for care?

I’m looking ahead, trying to anticipate what might be the monthly expense when I get in home help for my husband. He’s on Medicare and has the whole package, but I think they only pay once he needs help with daily tasks- is that right? I hope to always keep him at home, but if that isn’t possible what are the likely monthly rates for a very good facility? Thank you all.

Comments

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Kathy,

I think the costs depend on the state you are in as some have higher costs of living than others. There are all kinds of in-home care agencies online. Some of which may show the costs on line. The best way to find out the costs of memory care is to visit some. Check on-line with your State health department about any complaints and ratings of the facilities. Also, don't get wowed by high end facilities that have wonderful amenities because people in memory care really don't generally use them. You want to look at patient/staff ratios and staff turnover rates to name a few. As for Medicare, I wasn't aware they would help with in-home care. I believe they will pay for hospice care. I am sure our group can advise you more.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

It’s just the opposite. Medicare pays for in home skilled nursing or therapist care. What they don’t pay for is custodial care (ADL’s or activities of daily living).

Medicaid pays for long term care. The person must qualify financially and require skilled care (as in a skilled nursing facility, known as nursing homes). Qualify ing financially requires a spend down of assets - the rules vary by state. It is wise now to see an elder law attorney (CELA) to learn about qualifying for Medicaid, way before you need it.

Fees for assisted living start around $6,000 per month; with higher levels of care costs go up (eg medication assistance). (Memory Care may start at $8,000).

The most expensive 24 hour care is in-home care; per hour you may pay $40 through an agency, less for a private caregiver (but then you add on taxes).

Towards end of life Medicare pays for Hospice care, which is rarely 24 hour care, but is a wonderful help in many ways. If symptoms warrant, the person may be admitted to a Hospice Home. Hospice also pays for respite care, typically a week at a time.

Everyone on these boards would tell you to see a CELA now for POA’s, advance directives, Medicaid planning, and other legal matters particular to your situation.

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Hti Kathy,

I live in CA and have caregivers in my home...for the past number of years. I spend about $7,000 per month not counting supplies etc. Luckily, my husband does not need care at night. I do not have long term care so all expenses come out of our savings. My husband went on Hospice in February of this year so I do have the advantage of nurses, medicines etc. I just got a hospital bed for my husband this week and makes caring for him easier. My husband is very strong, healthy except for AD...which was diagnosed about 10 years ago. I will keep my. husband home with the help of caregivers and my son. He has the best care...It takes two of us to manage him but MC is not in the picture.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    edited October 2023

My mother in NJ recently paid $10,000/month for assisted living with a higher care package (care plus). The prices were negotiable.

We paid $35.00/hour for an aide at home.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
  • easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

You spend down your assets and then apply for Medicaid. An elder law attorney can advise you what to do.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

The MC where my wife was cost around $5300.00 per month, and from everything I've read here, that is on the low side, although typical for the area, which is nice middle class. The facility was very nice, with private rooms. No complaints.

Yes, you need to see a CELA (certified elder law attorney) soon. This is something you don't want to put on the back burner. If you wait too long, you will be sorry.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited October 2023

Hi kathy I am in Tennessee and from my searches last yr I found costs for a mcf to range greatly from a low 2300 it was not good and have heard of highs over ten k. I paid 8500 for 30 days in a skilled nursing rehab which was not mc specific. I am at 3659 still I do help with my dw care. I often get her up and dressed which has kept her at level 1 care the highest is 4100. Plus meds and depends. I am very happy where she is at.

Good luck which ever route you go.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Definitely talk to a CELA. With help from mine, I've moved the assets that needed to be spent down into a Medicaid compliant annuity so I get all of it back over time.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My DH resided in a stand alone MCF for 17 months before he passed. We are in North/central PA. The facility was Alz/dementia specific, cottage style, 16 residents with private rooms/half bath. The cost was $6200/month, all inclusive; private pay, Medicaid not accepted. No “ hidden fees”; I provided wipes and briefs. It was warm, quiet and cozy there, homelike, nothing flashy. He was content and well cared for; I would do it again. Best of luck; it is a hard journey.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Cherjer, I sent you a PM.

• KathyF1
    KathyF1 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you all for your replies. Really helps me plan. Yes, I’ll be finding a CELA.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I'm in western NC. DH has been in memory care for a year +. $5200.00 a month private pay. He has also been on Hospice for 9 months and they pay for Depends and his meds. He has a private room with a bathroom and there are 16 bedrooms and a lovely central dining room and living room. Each person's case is different. I didn't go to an elder care attorney as my DH is 93. ( I am soon to be 84 ) and I have enough assets to pay for his rent for him if he lives even 3 more years which I pray he doesn't. I had taken care of him for over 5 yrs in our apartment. The people who work in memory care are a blessing. I hope when the time comes you also can find a place where they give loving care.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    edited October 2023

He has the best care...It takes two of us to manage him but MC is not in the picture.

Sad to say instutional is likely for YOU If you have any resources left.

You have plan for both people to gets sick

• subversivevegan
    subversivevegan Member Posts: 29
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

FYI that California is eliminating the asset test in 2024 in order to qualify for Medicaid (called Medical in Cali.) programs. In other words, a person could conceivably qualify for Medicaid despite having significant assets, IF their income is below the limit.

Hopefully other states will adopt this approach and help the healthy spouse retain more for their own care.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    edited October 2023

Here in the SF Bay Area, CA, $13,000/mo. for a private room, all inclusive care, plus $400 /mo. for incontinence supplies, in memory care only facility.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

What does someone do if they don’t have funds to pay for a place???

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Charley, you need to see a CELA (certified elder law attorney) early in the disease. They can protect a lot of assets for you, draw up POAs and other documents you might need, and explain how Medicaid works in your state, and help you apply for it if needed. Your wife will not be able to act for medical decisions in your behalf, so you need to choose someone else to act if/when that time comes around. This is something you don't want to put off because if you wait too long, you will be sorry.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more