Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH in hospital again

Belle
Belle Member Posts: 117
Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Just can't catch a break. DH has been admitted to the hospital today, again, due to having cellulitis. Third time in less than 6 months that he has had an infection that required IV antibiotics. The last time they sent him home after less than 12 hours. Tomorrow a geriatric care manager is doing an emergency assessment on him at the hospital. I need a better plan than me doing this alone. I cannot get him to shower or change clothing on a regular basis. I have read all the books and articles and have tried the techniques and he won't budge. This is exhausting.

Comments

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Belle, I am so sorry and my heart goes out to both of you. How exhausting it must be. I pray that you continue to have the strength to care for your DH. And, I pray that your DH makes a recovery from the infection and the geriatric care manager has a solution for you. It’s a horrible, horrible disease.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Understand completely Belle, it's all exhausting. I don't know how we all stand it, frankly. Will be thinking about you.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm sorry, Belle. With this disease it seems the breaks are few and far between. I'm glad you have a geriatric care manager looking at him. Hopefully they will find success with something that works long term.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more