Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Guidance for Keeping My DH at Home

Good morning my dear fellow travelers,

I need your experience and wisdom about the feasibility of caring for my DH at home. I see him declining more each day. My heart wants to keep him home. My biggest concern is if I can physically handle the anticipated mobility challenges (getting up out of a chair, bed, toilet or any lifting) as I have had 2 back surgeries and am in constant back pain. He is 6'2" and 220 lbs. I am 5' 5'' and 148 lbs. Are there techniques I can learn or tools I can use to assist with this? I can afford to bring someone in part of the day, but it would be cost-prohibitive for 24 hours a day. Any wisdom/experience is much appreciated.

Comments

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My DH also has mobility issues. He can no longer walk, and uses a wheelchair at all times now. He cannot support himself enough to do a transfer, such as bed to wheelchair and back again, even with assistance. The one tool that makes it possible for me to continue to care for him at home is a Hoyer Lift. If your DH is on Medicare, and his physician places the order for the equipment, the cost will be covered with perhaps a small Copay. The equipment vendor will deliver the lift to your home, set it up, and provide a tutorial on its use. I also watched a lot of videos online showing how to use it…very helpful.

Along with the lift DH’s physician also ordered an adjustable hospital bed. Medicare also covered the cost of this. I hadn’t asked for it since I didn’t realize how much of a difference it would make, but I’m sure glad we have it. The ability to raise or lower the entire bed, plus being able to raise/lower the head or foot, makes things so much easier for me to manage care.

My DH is a relatively big guy, 6 feet tall and 200 pounds. I’m shorter than you (sure wish I weighed what you do!) and I manage just fine.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Denise, you're doing the right thing by being as ready as you can before you need to. Although I never had to worry about it, I know there are several videos on youtube for handling people who can't help. Learning how to position yourself with proper techniques can go a long way to keep from hurting yourself. But please don't take chances with something that can cause great harm to you. As you know, there is nothing you can do to keep him from progressing. But there is a lot you can do to keep from hurting yourself. Even with tools like a hoyer lift, you still need to know how to use it. Youtube is your friend.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you so much. I am learning and will research.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Ed, Thank you so much for the response. I am definitely worried because if I am hurt, then I cannot help him so I am proceeding with caution and will research the lift. I sure would like to keep him home. He was a foster child with a sad story. He was abandoned once by his family and I do not want him to feel like that again.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My best advise would be for your PCP to order an OT to come to the home. They will be able to tell you what you need.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care