Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A tip for urinary incontinence products

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

When people are struggling with urinary incontinence, some of them might use a pad inside an incontinence pull up. If you do that, make sure the pad does not have a waterproof barrier, or you may be defeating your desired outcome. It might seem like you are increasing the capacity, but you're not. If you use a pad like that, the barrier will not allow the liquid to flow through into the primary pull up or whatever you use. Yes, some will get through, but some won't, and you need it all to flow through. I am attaching a screenshot of a "booster", which has a flow through design, therefore giving you more capacity. This is what you want.

I know I often recommend parentgiving.com, but i have no connection to them except being a happy customer. If you call them, and ask for a sample, they might send you one at no charge. Here's the number. 888-746-2107 Buy from the place that gives you the best price, just make sure you compare apples to apples. And make sure there is no waterproof barrier.

The screenshot is from https://www.parentgiving.com/products/dry-direct-ultimate-booster-pad?_pos=2&_sid=a5f16b152&_ss=r

Comments

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 884
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

thank you! I fear that my DH's next step is incontinence. He's having more accidents lately not making it to the bathroom in time to urinate. I'm thinking about getting pads for him to try. We don't need underwear yet. I bought a bright red urinal and he sometimes uses it. Any suggestions on male incontinence pads not heavy duty?

• Ed1937

Diane, I think you're probably looking at pull ups. Sorry, but I don't know of anything else. Maybe someone else will have something for you.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited October 2023

Ed, we use pull-ups plus pad inside, but poke a few holes in the underside of the pad with the waterproof barrier. I’ve found that booster pads don’t usually fill completely before flowing down into the pull-ups. The heavy duty pads that we use fill more completely and wick away moisture before seeping down to the pull-ups. (I buy the types that are made for women after childbirth or very heavy duty.) The number and size of the holes depends on the time. During the day, I don’t usually poke any holes and can change just the pad much of the time. I change the pads at least 8 or 9 times during the day, even though they aren’t always very wet. I do that to try to keep bacteria down that could cause UTI’s. We probably change the pull-up underneath only 3 or 4 times a day when the flow seeps around the edges. At night, with several holes in the underside of the pad, we usually make it through 8 or 9 hours with no changes with very little, if any leakage.

We don’t use the depends brand because I haven’t found any that are absorbent or soft enough. Even the premium brands I’ve purchased don’t hold as much as advertised, hence the “booster pads”. There are many in between brands that hold just as much.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Maggie Mae,

Have you tried the super absorbent pull ups by Parent giving? They are amazing, soft, and comfortable. They wick away moisture, and rarely leak. Fit is very important, and their sizing is different from some other brands. My husband was a 36" waist and he wore a medium size. The fit was nice and snug. He was 6'1" and 170 lbs. Hope you're having some success with uti prevention. I think we mat have discussed this before, but if the UTI is related to prostate issues, prevention isn't always possible.

All the best to you,

Maureen

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

gampiano, were these the ones? https://www.parentgiving.com/products/dry-direct-super-overnight-underwear?variant=42003271942309

Parent giving has quite a few different brands.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Yes. They are made in ITALY. You can order a sample pack of 2, and also, you can call them to ask questions as well. you want the ones that are the most absorbent, 12 hour.

I have used several other brands, but once we tried these that was it. They are nice and soft.

Worth a try!

Hearts to you!

Maureen

• Ed1937

I agree with Maureen. The ones made in Italy seem superior to those made in the USA. Those were the ones we used, after trying others. But I think the sample pack is the way to go because people are different, and what may be best for us may not be best for you. I think they'll send you a trial pack free of charge if you call, and ask. Just tell them someone from the forum recommended them.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more