Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Timeline for Caregivers

I wish I could give potential caregivers advice about when certain symptoms will appear. It would have been the most helpful for me to know when I started on this journey of heartache.

But there is no roadmap or time schedule that can be relied upon. When my wife was first diagnosed, at her request after realizing something was wrong, seven plus years ago in the summer of 2016, I was told by her doctor she might die in as short as two or three years or she may outlive me. She was 63 and I was 70. Now she's 70 and I'm 77 and the trip has been a horror story. Mainly because of the uncertainty.

Mild symptoms of memory lapses and confusion, noticed, in retrospect for at least two years prior to her diagnosis, became physical combat and aggressiveness, then passive decline in all mental ability. Finally, for the past two years, severe weight loss and the inability to care for herself in any way.

Physical health has only started to decline after losing 60 pounds. She is still able to walk and eat with assistance but eats everything, including soap, and coins or anything that fits in her mouth. Hospitalized last week for removal of 3 quarters and 4 nickels, I have had to lock all the rooms and empty the house of anything small. She wears a diaper for the past week but she will chew it if I am not vigilant.

I share these details because anyone attempting to singularly care for a patient should realize how bad it can be. Steel yourself. I wish I had known.

There are few choices in reality. Memory care facilities are extremely expensive. In my area $6,000/month is the bottom figure. Home care, even part time, is also costly. Other than veteran benefits or Medicaid which requires near poverty to attain, there is no financial aid.

I think I am nearing the end for my wife. Her symptoms are that of last stage but even that can last for a very long time. I already have trouble remembering her. She has become an empty shell. All I can do now is hope she does not outlive me because there is no one else.

Comments

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Dear Losing Hope,

I am heart broken as I read your post. My husband just passed away on October 14, and I was the sole care give until the last few weeks when I had to hire some part time help. It is a nightmare, and the exhaustion of the caregiver is beyond description.

Have you contacted your local hospice? They were immensely helpful and supportive, provided some respite care so that i could get a break, and we had them for a couple of months before my husband went in to a rapid decline. I strongly recommend that to you, and , as the end draws near, they are invaluable,

Please consider this if you haven't done it already.

I'm wishing you and your wife peace, and deliverance.

Maureen

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

What a first post! Thank you. I hope you know you have found a great forum. Even with only one post under your belt, you are now part of our family, and you will get a lot of understanding and support here.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Do call hospice, you don't need a physician s order for her to be evaluated. If they do not accept her you haven't lost anything and if they do they may be a lot of help.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
  • ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 2023

Welcome and I hope here in this place you find the encouragement and inspiration to carry on as I have. It's a place we can share our stories and our daily trials without fear of judgement. Everyone here understands both sides of this coin from the dementia side to the caregiver side and even though things might be a "slightly" different version of crazy for all of us, we are all together on this trainwreck called "dementia".

Sorry I keep editing, as someone else said, my best proof reading is after I hit the post button.

As far as a timeline goes. I'd give anything to know how much longer one stage is from another. I sense we are approaching late 6 and even possibly 7 but then there are times I think we are still in 5 somewhere. There's no blood test to tell, no xray or mri that can diagnose "4, 5, 6 or 7. We only know we've reached the end when stage 8 arrives.

Neuro has diagnosed my DW with Alz and labeled her as "severe". What that means in terms of a timeline I have no idea and neither does he. That is part of what makes this so hard, not knowing where youre at and how much further you have to go.

• nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Hi losinghope.. This is a great place to be. I am sorry to hear your wife is swallowing coins and whatever else she can. This disease is so unpredictable.

My husband was finally diagnosed in 2017, but I knew at least ten years before that that something was wrong with his memory. No one would listen.

When we went to an appointment with our primary care doctor in 2017,, it was a bad day for my husband and we finally got a referral to the university neurology department that specialized in Alzheimer's/dementia. After two hours of testing, we had a diagnosis of Alzheimer's. Finally...but I walked out crying. I knew what I knew before the appointment, but the diagnosis was still painful.

I agree concerning the hospice, If one place will not accept her another one might. We have to be proactive.

My husband is at stage six, I think. Recently he was able to draw the face of a clock when our primary care doctor's assistant gave DH a mini cognitive test.. He could not do that at least seven years ago and not at the neurology diagnosis appointment.

The last 6 months 'DH hyper focuses on the three clocks in the living room all showing the same time. Perhaps that is why or maybe his brain just clicked that day.

Some days I am tired and stressed. Other days I am glad I can do what I do, which is everything inside and outside.

Stay in touch. .

• valan2
    valan2 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I know it is easy to say , you need to take care of yourself too, but it is true. Get a friend or family member to stay with him for 30 min ana hour to do a little exersize. Maybe a gym , walk in the neightborhood. You have to keep better eye on your dm. If you get sick what happens to both of you? It is hard to ask for help. I know it is hard for me too.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Dear Losinghope,

Please consider the several suggestions to call for a hospice evaluation if you haven’t done so already. The service would benefit both you and your DW, especially if you are attempting to care for her at home for the duration. You can get a good deal of firsthand information on this forum by typing “hospice” into the search box at the top of the page. You have nothing to lose and lots to gain. Stay strong; I’m praying for you.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

But my understanding is Hospic care is when you’re at very end.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Traditionally, Hospice services have been restricted to those patients in the last six months of life, however, with Alzheimer’s, that restriction does not always apply. Hopefully, others will chime in on this topic. Sometimes, a patient will not qualify for services with one Hospice provider, but another provider will deem the patient eligible. You will never know unless you inquire; it does not require a doctor’s order or recommendation. Hope this makes sense. Best of luck.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

As a former Hospice RN, I encourage you to call Hospice for an evaluation. Thinking of you and your DW

• S. Lynch
    S. Lynch Member Posts: 18
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Dear Losinghope,

Thank you for sharing your situation. Praying for your LO and you in this part of the journey. My DH was diagnosed at 63, and is in his 3rd year. I think it is the constant grieving that wears me out. We were holding ground with routines and familiar places until recently. It has been a deep dive. I read this forum several times a week and find so many posts that give me both sadness, wisdom and strength. Keeping all of us close in prayer.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Dear Losinghope, so sorry to read of your situation. I, too, am caring for my spouse and since we have no children, it's a difficult road doing this alone. Yes, there are friends but it's not the same. His only sibling is in another state. I know that I only have worse days to look forward to but this forum is so, so helpful. It's my only way to communicate with people who REALLY understand. My DH is always with me so it's hard for me at this point to think about support groups, exercise classes, etc. My only "alone" time is when he's watching a movie and I'm not, although increasingly he wants me to be there with him.

Just as S. Lynch, keeping all of us close in prayer.

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

I am very sorry for your loss. Please know that others do understand and care about the long goodbye you experienced.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend and wife. Holding you close in my thoughts and prayers, Jeri

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I am sorry for your loss.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

losinghope, I am so sorry for your loss. You cared for her and did what was possible to keep her safe through this horrible disease. I wish there were words that could ease your pain, but there are only prayers.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am sorry for your loss.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I am sorry for your loss. Your DW was lucky to have you by her side.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Ugh a sad thing to lose a spouse. I hope you will be able to find comfort in memories of the happy times you had together:

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I’m so sorry for the loss of your precious DW. What a journey you had to go through-we all are on the same journey. Take time now to gather your strength and grieve. You deserve to rest.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Deepest condolences on your DW’s passing. May you find peace in the weeks and months ahead.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Losing hope, I am so sorry for your loss. I was just about to post the Tam Cummings staging information again and note that becoming "hyper oral - putting any/everything into their mouth" is Stage 7. DH has begun to do that, as well as pocketing his food and chewing it forever...forgetting to swallow I guess.

Our hospice nurse helped me put two & two together today, and realize he too, is nearing the end of this journey. Though as you said, there is still no clear date on that. Such a roller coaster. I am also caring for my DH at home and can only hope to be as capable as you, in providing safe passage for your precious wife.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more