Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Slowing down and eating less it seems.

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Just wondering if this a new corner we are turning.

The last few weeks my DW has been eating less and less. Up until a few months ago she was eating at least half of her hamburger, she developed a love for hamburgers, now she eats the fries but barely touches the burger. I think she is tired of them, anyway it seems to also apply to other foods. She only likes certain things like chocolate hummus, probably because it's sweet. I like it also spread on a tortilla.

She also has been sleeping in a bit later until 7:00 - 7:30. I can get up quietly and have a cup of coffee in silence now. First time in years actually. I hope that part continues. :) Then she wakes up and the emotional outburst and drama continues off and on all day. Some days aren't so bad but some others. . . whew! She has also been talking in her sleep more.

Comments

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

This is very much consistent with the progression my DW went through. She was also fond of hamburgers and went from eating a whole one to half and then less. She also became more picky and sometimes complained that some foods were too spicy although they really were only very slightly so. PWD being more interested in sweet foods is apparently almost a universal characteristic. Now in Stage 7 she is non communicative and must be hand fed puréed foods, but it is clear that she will accept sweeter foods, but clenches her mouth shut when the foods are apparently not to her liking.

My DW also began sleeping more as well. For her it was more a case of going to bed earlier but still getting up about the same time. Eventually of course PWD sleep a great deal. My DW now sleeps about 20 hours a day. She is barely awake the other 4 hours, spending most of the time sitting in her wheelchair with her eyes closed.

l could never really identify a point where my DW turned a corner. Some dementias do apparently exhibit steps in the decline. But for my DW it has simply been an unrelenting and rapid slide into Stage 7.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm sorry for both of you. We all know it is coming, but.................

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hello,

This sounds like another bit of progression. My husband had the same symptoms in stage 7. He began to avoid foods that he previously enjoyed, went for softer, sweeter. Also ate much less. He rapidly declined once this happened, and i was pretty shocked at the dramatic changes. Lots of sleeping. The body does what the body wants to do.

I wish you and your loved ones peace. I have that now, and so does he.

Maureen

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney