Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My anxiety and his sundowning

Belle
Belle Member Posts: 117
Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Any caregivers here with generalized anxiety disorder? How do you handle the agitation and paranoia without setting off your own anxiety? DH is in the hospital and is developing more issues with sundowning. I just got yelled at for 5 minutes on the phone so much so that a nurse came by to ask him if he was OK. He was super nice to her when she asked him if he was OK so it is all directed at me. I managed to get him semi-calmed down but now I am a nervous wreck. I'm trying to find placement for him and I imagine that this is only going to escalate once that happens.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

The hospital is a not good place for people with dementia. Staff is simply not trained in that kind of care. It would be best to have someone with him 24/7 while he is there. If you are very lucky the hospital will provide for this but most likely you will have to be there as much as possible and then pay for care.

Regarding your anxiety please keep your Dr informed about what is going on. Always remember your health matters too.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Belle, Can you ask your DH's doctor for meds to calm down your DH and make him more subdued. Your health is important. I really don't think I could handle the yelling at paranoia.

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I am going to try to figure out how to reach one of his doctors today. I tried calling the nurses station at the hospital multiple times last night and no one answered the phone.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

my POA has my wife down , this was done pre diagnosis, but says if she can’t or will not or unable my two daughters mentioned. My question is this ok?

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Charlie, when you have a question that is not related to the topic in discussion, please start a new discussion. You will get more replies to your questions, and the current discussion can stay on topic. You can start a new discussion by clicking on the orange circle (bottom right), then filling in the information. Your question is a good one, but it needs it's own thread.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Belle, I'm sorry it's so hard. I agree that you should ask about medication to help calm him, and if you think you need something too, see your doctor, and ask for a prescription. It is not uncommon for caregivers to take something to help.

Please don't dwell on his condition increasing if he is placed. Facilities deal with that all the time when people are first welcomed. Many times they ask for you not to visit for a time after placement, so they can have time to adjust.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Yes, Charley.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sorry didn’t know how to start one. Again sorry

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 2023

Sundowning can be a difficult time for caregivers and there's no one right way to deal with it. As far as your own anxiety goes, it's possible to see your PCP for anxiety meds. I'm on max dose of Bruproprion aka Welbutrin. I think it does help me to deal but to be frank and completly honest, sundowning is hard to deal with and can drive caregivers crazy. When my DW sundowns, nearly every single day, she becomes very scared and confused. I also rely on alchohol and cannibis to make up the difference in my anxiety. I hate to admit that but there it is. It helps. When I'm not drinking, then taking her for a drive can help snap her out of that loop. We take a lot of drives.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more