Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Overwhelmed

I am 57 year old wife with a 72 year old husband with many health issues. I work full time along with being a full time caregiver. My husband is ESRD on dialysis and until last week I was doing his hemo dialysis at home. I finally took something off my plate but up at 4 now to be at dialysis clinic by 5:45am three days a week. I go to work and then 4 hours later I take an early lunch to pick him up, take him home and back to work for 4-5 more hours. He is leagally blind and does not drive so all doctor appointments fall on me. He has lower extremity vascular issues. He also has heart issues, urology issues and foot issues and he is mostly wheelchair bound. We began seeing a neurologist for cognitive issues to include confusion, hallucinations and combativeness. Some testing was done (EEG and brain MRI) but he now thinks they want to put him away so he won't go back. Now I can't get a diagnosis. He's been under some type anesthesia over 30 times in the last 3 1/2 years which exacerbates the neurological issues.

He had to have a follow up vascular procedure today from one last Monday because his toes are turning black. We got home today and he sat out in the truck for 2 hours because it wasn't his house. He wanted to go home. Finally got him in the house. He gets so confused and hallucinates more and more. He confuses me with his ex-wife or thinks were are both in the picture and they haven't been married for over 30 years.

So sorry for the ramble but not sure how to get him help without a diagnosis or what steps I should take. Work is my sanity plus I have to work. I am the sole provider. Also, I don't have the funds to get help that's not covered by insurance. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Through this group I finally feel like I'm not alone.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited October 2023

I'm sorry you're going through this, but you've found a great forum and everyone will help with advice.

I went through something similar with regard to my husband resisting going to the doctor, paranoid that they were going to commit him. After months of struggling, he ended up hospitalized for two weeks while they ran tests and got him on meds. It took a bit, but the meds made a huge difference in paranoid behavior, anxiety, aggression, and delusions.

Do you have POA and other documents in place? I strongly recommend talking to a CELA and learning about long-term care options in your state.

Take care.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I am so sorry for your challenges you are facing with your DH. You came to a good place for advice - I joined in March of this year and the experience, knowledge and support I have received is outstanding. One thing I've learned is that "fiblets" are okay. Maybe you could tell him you're going somewhere different than Neurologist and get him to an appointment that way. I think you're correct that the 30 anesthesia's in 3 1/2 years probably has exacerbated the issue.

Everyone's circumstances are different but "the same".

Try to stay strong (do we have a choice?)

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I wondered about a hospice evaluation too. You may face a difficult decision at some point about continuing dialysis. Im sorry you're facing this but you have come to a good place.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Some great advice has already been given. I would just add that if you consult a CLEA and then he may be able to enter a skilled nursing facility with Medicare/Medicaid funding. It sounds like he needs extensive care. I am amazed that you are so strong and are able to keep your schedule going. I pray you find relief very soon. Please keep us posted.

• tlecroy
    tlecroy Member Posts: 3
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

The comments have given me a lot of good information. I appreciate you all. It was nice to just vent with people in the same situation. Oh, did I mention that my mom is undiagnosed but we know she is going through the same thing. Hers is mostly a memory issue.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more