Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is my POA ok??

my POA has my wife down , this was done pre diagnosis, but says if she can’t or will not or unable my two daughters take overMy question is this ok?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I agree with @Victoria2020 , it's time to see a CELA to update your POA. If your wife is primary agent, who determines when she is no longer fit to serve? Why set your daughters up to have to take that right away from her when you could proactively change it.

HB

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

You can revoke that POA and get a new one. Do it soon. If you and your daughters are near each other, you can print your state’s form off the internet and have them meet you at a notary public to sign especially if you can’t get into a lawyer soon. That’s what I did with my mom and no one has questioned it in 3 years.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited November 2023

@Victoria2020

I did not say he shouldn’t go to a lawyer- I suggested an online form as a temporary measure until he could. You never know if he would get hit by a truck tomorrow. You are right that the website won’t solve or give advice on issues like Medicaid etc/ but the question was specifically about revising the POA.

The form I used is a Durable ( even if the person becomes incapacitated) POA form from the Illinois Department of Aging. That is discussed in the form itself. My Mom and I both signed it in front of a notary as principal( her) and agent (me). Technically I suppose I didn’t have to sign it, but I did so that my sample signature would be documented. I did not have to sign the POA for healthcare form that my parents filled out at a local senior center.

https://ilaging.illinois.gov/content/dam/soi/en/web/aging/programs/documents/poa-property.pdf

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more