Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Thinks he’s been to the moon

My DH is stage 5. His symptoms have included delusions from the beginning. I’ve posted before asking if others have seen the same in their loved one. Even before memory issues were apparent, he would tell bizarre stories of his experiences, things that could not be reality. The latest is that he went to the moon. He tells everyone. If we go to town, run errands, go to dinner- he tells strangers of his trip to the moon. Just wondering if this is common?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Makes me wonder about frontotemporal dementia Kathy, does he have a formal diagnosis?

• KathyF1
    KathyF1 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

He had an MRI 4 years ago and we saw a neuropsychologist for testing. She said MCI at that point but suspected early Alzheimer’s. The MRI showed mild white matter changes. Since then I haven’t sought diagnosis because it upset him, and I didn’t see the benefit. But I wonder why he is so delusional. He thinks he’s best friends with all the people on his favorite news channel. And, even before any memory issues surfaced he told me things that couldn’t have happened, that were clearly delusional. At this point he has every Alzheimer’s symptom along with it though. He’s stage 5 and layers clothes, searches through drawers, has no short term memory, and is losing long term memory. So I wonder if he has a combination of “ typical” Alzheimer’s and something else?

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Hard to say for sure without more tests. But my DH went through periods you've described. Quick successions then disappeared and replaced with new ones...a roller coaster ride for sure. He's diagnosed as probable Lewy Body Dementia although he doesn't have all of the core symptoms but enough secondary symptoms to lean toward LBD. They ruled out Alzheimer's because a PetScan didn't show B-amyloids. And I have no idea what stage he's in except the middle.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Kathy, It would be best if you got help from the doctor as meds may help him (and you with the delusions). If he is experiencing this now, think about the possibility of him exhibiting behaviors which you may not be able to deal with. Maybe your primary care could help you without upsetting your DH.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@KathyF1

This is something that comes up fairly often. Other posters have shared about their LO believing they were at major events from their youth or knew/dated the icons of the age. One husband even dated Marilyn Monroe for a time. For a time, dad seemed to think he was the Tom Selleck character on Bluebloods and was more engaged with that TV family than the one he had IRL.

My dad also told conflated stories (it happened but he wasn't one of the participants) to everyone he met about some things he did as a teacher that would have resulted in jailtime these days. When he was stuck on this script, we didn't leave the house with him except to go to the doctor's office. Going to the moon is a lot more benign a confession. If you feel the need to explain, there are cards you can buy or download/print that explain dementia that you can discretely slip to others.

Companion Card (alz.org)

HB

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

My partner doesn't have fixed delusions, but she will often confabulate now and say that she knew so and so, or was present at such and such. These are usually weak and floppy stories, lacking detail, and as her aphasia progresses she doesn't get out more than a sentence or two, then drops it. I think a fixed delusion is different and yes, if the behavior is disturbing, antipsychotic medication can help.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My husband has delusions all of the time. He was diagnosed with FTD. Just the other day he thought he just got back from Russia - he thought he was working there. Nothing that he says is accurate. His geriatric psych said that he is living in his own world. I try not to bring him out with me because when he comes home he is very disoriented and wants to go back to his "other home."

• KathyF1
    KathyF1 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you all for your posts. We are moving to be near family soon, medical resources are much better there. I may seek a real diagnosis just to see if there are meds that might help.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Wishing an easy move for you, Kathy.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 193
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Could be Lewy Body dementia. I understand that hallucinations are signs of this. I’m like you, though, what does it matter. Except if he does get worse like mentioned above, there could be meds to control the symptoms.

I didn’t want my DH to go thru any more test so I just communicated with his Neurologist on the patient portal.

Sorry you are having to go through this.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more