Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What if money tight

What are your options if you financially can’t afford care at a facility??

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Charley, I can tell from your questions that you are trying hard to get your head around what lies ahead for you and your wife. The vast majority of folks in this country cannot afford to pay for long-term dementia care (it runs anywhere from $3000 per month to over $10,000 per month, depending on where you live). Medicare does not cover long-term care either; therefore, most people end up needing to apply for their state's Medicaid program. This usually involves assessing what you have, and each state has specific rules about how much of those personal assets have to be spent on care in order to qualify. As said on other threads, you need to make an appointment with a certified elder law attorney (abbreviated CELA) who can help you assess your finances, get her qualified for long-term Medicaid in your state, and get your other legal papers in order. CELA's can be found by location at nelf.org. It is very much worth the money to get it right. Once this is done, you can research what facilities in your area accept Medicaid payment. Many times, families admit their loved one to a facility and pay for as many months as they can afford privately, before converting to Medicaid payment--but not all facilities do this, so you want to know on the front end. Most families don't want to admit their loved one to one place and then face another move later.

Hope that helps.

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Research long term care medicaid in your state for a basic understanding of how it works. It varies by state and the rules are strict. Then consult an elder law attorney for financial planning based on your LO's specific financials. Most people don't fall under the income cap but there are programs and ways of doing it to make up the difference of what the individual can't cover. If you want to post what state you are in others may have experience with it.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    edited November 2023

Hi Charley0419 - I don't see any way of getting around going to see an elder law attorney. I live in NJ and talked to an attorney about how I could qualify for Medicaid when the time comes. The attorney asked for all of my financial information and then told me what can be done. I am not ready yet, but I know where to go and what to do in the future.

Here is a link to a search tool for long-term facilities from the NJ Dept of Health. You can search for facilities that accept Medicaid.

https://healthapps.state.nj.us/facilities/fsSetSearch.aspx?by=county

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Charley, you're doing the best thing for you and your wife by looking into this before it's a crisis.

Definitely see a CELA. Until I did, I received so much advice that was completely wrong. The website below has the basic information for NJ. But before you start moving money and worrying about spend-down, see an expert. It takes work to get approved, but it can be done.

https://www.medicaidplanningassistance.org/medicaid-eligibility-new-jersey/

• tboard
    tboard Member Posts: 8
    Tenth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

Thanks! I am in the early stages of trying to figure this all out.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more